This month's mysterious stumper comes from Gregory Plet, BPI certified pro from Northeast Energy Conservation, Inc in Fairfield, New Jersey.

Greg writes that one Friday he was doing a routine service check on an Orthodox Jewish customer's house in West Orange, New Jersey. As he walked into the house his Testo CO detector went off and was reading between 10 to 14 ppm (Ambient CO Level), in all rooms of the house. All the appliances appeared to be off. Greg ran a test on the domestic water heater, boiler and everything passed the test but the High CO Level. He thought maybe his CO alarm was defective, so he called in reinforcements - his co-worker Michael Labinski. But when Michael arrived his equipment got the same result! The two walked the house room by room, inside and outside, but couldn't find the source of the CO. When they asked the customer if they cooked before the visit, if they warmed up a car in the garage or any such activity, the answer was NO.

Do you know what was causing the high CO level?

Views: 1051

Replies to This Discussion

Was there a blech on the stove? Used to cover the flame on a gas stove, sometimes it does not have enough space to allow for decent combustion and the CO accumulates.

We received so many great answers to last month's stumper! A big thank you to all the folks who sent us your great ideas and guesses - some very creative answers too! Doug Horgan of BOWA Remodeling in McLean, Virginia is this month's winner, followed just minutes later by Nathan Winkler, Silas Hoeppner and Ray Levinson who also guessed correctly.

Doug guesses, "There is an appliance set to run in 'Sabbath mode' where it turns itself on and stays on through the timeframe in which one is not allowed to control devices. If it's making CO it would have to be the oven." Doug was spot on.

Greg Plet of Northeast Energy Conservation, Inc. in Fairfield, NJ who sent us last month's stumper, reveals that after he looked at the stove a little closer he realized one of the burners was on very low, at simmer level. "So I asked the customer if she knew about the stove being on and she said, 'Oh yes, we have to cook that way (from Thursday to the end of the week for religion reasons),'" said Greg.

"Our customer mentioned that it had been on simmer for about 8 hours and that they cook that way every week." The home's central air unit was on and circulating CO throughout the house. "We asked our customer if they had any headaches, and they said their son had complained of headaches lately. We told them it could be related."

I don't see Doug Horgan, Nathan Winkler, Silas Hoeppner or Ray Levinson listed as someone who posted an answer in the discussion thread.  On my computer screen it looks like Bryan Burris is the only person posting that answer.  How can this be?

Hi Dmitri! We spread the word about the challenge across many different channels, including through an e-newsletter, this forum and social media, and track correct answers across all of these channels. This time around, we received the quickest correct answers through the e-newsletter. Keep an eye out for next month's "stumper," which will be posted here today!

RSS

Discussion Forum

We Need Your Stumpers!

Started by Building Performance Institute May 14. 0 Replies

BPI has a jobs section on their website!

Started by Diane Chojnowski. Last reply by Building Performance Institute Apr 24. 2 Replies

Faces of EE campaign on Twitter - see fellow BPIers profiled!

Started by Building Performance Institute Sep 12, 2017. 0 Replies

Let's Play Stump the Chump!

Started by Kirsten Richnavsky. Last reply by 13l00vab7zpxt Aug 17, 2015. 16 Replies

Where Building Science Meets Healthy Homes

Started by Kirsten Richnavsky Jun 17, 2015. 0 Replies

Latest Activity

John Roberts replied to Tom Smith's discussion Assessing the true end user price of installing a new boiler?
"I think that there needs to be some kind of regulation with the boiler industry as there are so…"
16 hours ago
John Roberts is now a member of Home Energy Pros Forum
17 hours ago
Profile IconOakridge solar, DUANE QUENZER and Guy DuBois joined Home Energy Pros Forum
Saturday
Scott Mills posted a video

High Performance Homes Simplified by Scott Mills in Basalt, CO on 7/12/19

Learn the why and how of building and financing a Positive Energy home. Designed for builders and architects to understand the simple techniques and "Right steps at the right time".
Saturday
Brett Little's 2 videos were featured
Friday
Chris Johnson liked Diane Chojnowski's discussion ACEEE 2019 State Energy Efficiency Scorecard
Thursday
Horace Douglas Hunt, Jr. replied to Horace Douglas Hunt, Jr.'s discussion Installing High Efficiency Equipment....?
"I too do not wish to see 80% equipment in homes, it was a point i was making."
Thursday
Mark Buhler posted an event

Solar Valuation Education for Real Estate Appraisers at San Diego Gas & Electric Innovation Center

December 13, 2019 from 8:30am to 12:30pm
Valuation Resources for Solar PV Systems  Friday December 13, 2019 8:30 am to 12:30 pm 4760…See More
Thursday
Todd Williams replied to Horace Douglas Hunt, Jr.'s discussion Installing High Efficiency Equipment....?
"You my friend, have hit on pay dirt with this topic! There are many factors involved in ROI. And…"
Thursday
Laurie Guevara-Stone's blog post was featured
Thursday
Amos Dunham is now a member of Home Energy Pros Forum
Thursday
Stanley Widener replied to Robin Henry's discussion Floor I joists and properly installed insulation
"I think the kraft facing would meet the requirements of "concealed" and "in…"
Wednesday

© 2019   Created by Building Performance Association   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service