This month's mysterious stumper comes from Gregory Plet, BPI certified pro from Northeast Energy Conservation, Inc in Fairfield, New Jersey.

Greg writes that one Friday he was doing a routine service check on an Orthodox Jewish customer's house in West Orange, New Jersey. As he walked into the house his Testo CO detector went off and was reading between 10 to 14 ppm (Ambient CO Level), in all rooms of the house. All the appliances appeared to be off. Greg ran a test on the domestic water heater, boiler and everything passed the test but the High CO Level. He thought maybe his CO alarm was defective, so he called in reinforcements - his co-worker Michael Labinski. But when Michael arrived his equipment got the same result! The two walked the house room by room, inside and outside, but couldn't find the source of the CO. When they asked the customer if they cooked before the visit, if they warmed up a car in the garage or any such activity, the answer was NO.

Do you know what was causing the high CO level?

Views: 1023

Replies to This Discussion

Was there a blech on the stove? Used to cover the flame on a gas stove, sometimes it does not have enough space to allow for decent combustion and the CO accumulates.

We received so many great answers to last month's stumper! A big thank you to all the folks who sent us your great ideas and guesses - some very creative answers too! Doug Horgan of BOWA Remodeling in McLean, Virginia is this month's winner, followed just minutes later by Nathan Winkler, Silas Hoeppner and Ray Levinson who also guessed correctly.

Doug guesses, "There is an appliance set to run in 'Sabbath mode' where it turns itself on and stays on through the timeframe in which one is not allowed to control devices. If it's making CO it would have to be the oven." Doug was spot on.

Greg Plet of Northeast Energy Conservation, Inc. in Fairfield, NJ who sent us last month's stumper, reveals that after he looked at the stove a little closer he realized one of the burners was on very low, at simmer level. "So I asked the customer if she knew about the stove being on and she said, 'Oh yes, we have to cook that way (from Thursday to the end of the week for religion reasons),'" said Greg.

"Our customer mentioned that it had been on simmer for about 8 hours and that they cook that way every week." The home's central air unit was on and circulating CO throughout the house. "We asked our customer if they had any headaches, and they said their son had complained of headaches lately. We told them it could be related."

I don't see Doug Horgan, Nathan Winkler, Silas Hoeppner or Ray Levinson listed as someone who posted an answer in the discussion thread.  On my computer screen it looks like Bryan Burris is the only person posting that answer.  How can this be?

Hi Dmitri! We spread the word about the challenge across many different channels, including through an e-newsletter, this forum and social media, and track correct answers across all of these channels. This time around, we received the quickest correct answers through the e-newsletter. Keep an eye out for next month's "stumper," which will be posted here today!

RSS

Discussion Forum

We Need Your Stumpers!

Started by Building Performance Institute May 14. 0 Replies

BPI has a jobs section on their website!

Started by Diane Chojnowski. Last reply by Building Performance Institute Apr 24. 2 Replies

Faces of EE campaign on Twitter - see fellow BPIers profiled!

Started by Building Performance Institute Sep 12, 2017. 0 Replies

Let's Play Stump the Chump!

Started by Kirsten Richnavsky. Last reply by 13l00vab7zpxt Aug 17, 2015. 16 Replies

Where Building Science Meets Healthy Homes

Started by Kirsten Richnavsky Jun 17, 2015. 0 Replies

Latest Activity

Sean Lintow Sr replied to Chris Stratton's discussion Okay to use 1" polyiso as a insulation base for 50 gallon heat pump water heater?
"1st for anyone wondering - do not do this for gas Sure if you put a drip pan underneath the water…"
29 minutes ago
Steve Taylor replied to Steve Taylor's discussion Moving sale - reduced in the group Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase
"I do still have it."
14 hours ago
Noah Ray Sanders replied to Steve Taylor's discussion Moving sale - reduced in the group Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase
"Do you still have the DB with DG 1000"
14 hours ago
Chris Stratton posted a discussion

Okay to use 1" polyiso as a insulation base for 50 gallon heat pump water heater?

I am about to install a 50-gallon Rheem heat pump water heater in our garage at our house near…See More
16 hours ago
Noah Ray Sanders posted a discussion

Foam/Fiberglass Hybrid Insulation

Does anyone have any knowledge of installing fiberglass in the walls and foam insulating the attic…See More
yesterday
Diane Chojnowski's video was featured

2X CODE INSULATION - Simple Trick!

In this episode Matt is visiting a nearly 100 year old Bungalow being re-built to Passive House standards. Architect Trey Farmer is building his family home and has some great tricks to double the insulation of a standard code built home without…
Friday
Elmec is now a member of Home Energy Pros Forum
Friday
Ed Minch commented on Blake Reid's blog post Blower Door Testing in Hawaii
"Glad to see they went with 5 ACH50.  This is very easy to achieve in even small houses and…"
Thursday

© 2019   Created by Building Performance Association   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service