As we move toward the heating season, what are your top tips for homeowners to keep their energy bills under control?

ElectricityPlans.com and NaturalGasPlans.com are consumer shopping sites in deregulated energy markets. We also have content on energy efficiency. Would love to use some of the conversation on this forum to educate our readers on making their home more energy efficient. If we use your tips in our article, we'll backlink to your website!

Tags: HVAC, air, efficiency, energy, heating, insulation, sealing, ventilation, weatherization

Views: 121

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One of our Facebook followers responded:

Fireplace Fashion by Beverly Cover your fireplace! It will make such a difference in your heating bills and in the feel of your room.

Thanks! Great idea!

Hi Rebecca,

There are a million articles on the topic you are looking to discuss. Here is a link to one (that is pretty well done) that I received just today: https://www.dailyprogress.com/realestate/smarthometechnology/diy-ai...

However, Just to keep things interesting...I think that tired topic should be turned on its head. What if you did an article about the misnomers and fallacies that the average homeowner believes about saving home energy? A click-bait title would be: "10 stupid things homeowners do to sabotage their energy bill."

I will list off a few of the reoccurring favorites:

1) I will use my wood fireplace or vented gas log to supplement my furnace heat on really cold winter days.

2) I will buy a new energy efficient fridge and turn my old fridge into a "beer fridge".

3) I will use my whole house fan all day long to keep the house cooler and less humid. 

4) The first thing I will do to fix my drafty house is replace the windows.

5) I have really high electric bills, so I will lease some solar panels on my roof to fix my bill.

6) I saw I had gaps around my pipes and wires where they entered the house, so I packed fiberglass batting in there. 

These are just a few off the top of my head, but I am sure other members will chime in.

Oh I love it!  First, thanks for the link. And second, love the click bait title idea! That's super original, thank you! I'll work on that article topic. And I'll include a backlink to you too!

RSS

Latest Activity

Precise Lighting posted a discussion

Best Home Interior Lighting Trends In 2019

If lighting updates are your agenda for this year, then we are here to help you with a roundup of…See More
3 hours ago
Bob Krell commented on Bob Krell's event IAQ & Energy 2019 Conference
"Save 20% off the Online Attendee or 15% off the In-person Attendee price with this Special Offer…"
8 hours ago
Bob Krell posted an event
Thumbnail

IAQ & Energy 2019 Conference at Holiday Inn, Portland, ME/Online Live Stream

October 31, 2019 to November 1, 2019
9 hours ago
David Butler replied to Ed Minch's discussion Solar performance anomaly
"@Daniel, Ed said he has a revenue grade SREC meter, which presumably is the one he's using…"
16 hours ago
Larry Weingarten's blog post was featured

Hot Water Heaven

The real world isn't an easy place to be idealistic about hot water systems and what could be. …See More
20 hours ago
Diane Chojnowski posted a discussion

Presentation slides from the 2019 Building Science Summer Camp

The presentation slides from the 2019 Building Science Summer Camp are posted on the Building…See More
20 hours ago
Bruce A. Bailey replied to Ed Minch's discussion Solar performance anomaly
"I would begin by asking your power company for the hourly numbers for the billing period. Depending…"
21 hours ago
Daniel Baur-McGuire replied to Ed Minch's discussion Solar performance anomaly
"I have run into this twice. Both times it was the way the utility calculated and billed for…"
22 hours ago
Jonah Nova is now a member of Home Energy Pros Forum
yesterday
Larry Weingarten posted a blog post

Hot Water Heaven

The real world isn't an easy place to be idealistic about hot water systems and what could be. …See More
yesterday
Jason Raddenbach liked rebecca bridges's discussion Your Top Energy Efficiency Tips for the Heating Season
yesterday
Brett Little replied to Ed Minch's discussion Solar performance anomaly
"Frustrating! Can't help you there but I have a question. Do you use any other energy? gas or…"
yesterday

© 2019   Created by Building Performance Association   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service