EVs are a bit of a controversial topic. Their environmental benefits post-assembly and manufacturing are tremendous. But, how about the manufacturing price? 

Are they worth the cost? It's a great first step to moving to an "electrified" everything household. 

https://www.motherearthnews.com/green-transportation/compare-lifeti...

Views: 318

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We have a '19 Leaf and a '13 Prius v. When the Prius is laid to rest we will replace both with Tesla products. These will be our last car purchases before retirement. The House will have PV installed this summer and will be 'off-grid capable' but, grid tied with a battery bank (net-positive energy is the goal). Being independent/responsible for our own energy production is very important to us. (We'll also do the same for water & waste)

So, is it worth the cost? I'd say for us it is! 

Love my Bolt. I can do 99.9% of my driving with it. This includes Vermont's winter. Range is no longer an issue - exception travelling/vacations.

The winter kills the overall efficiency. On the coldest of days I don't do better than a 30mpg gasser in terms of $/mi. So in the winter I might as well have a hybrid.

On a 40k mile average its equivalent to $/mi of 55mpg ($2.65/gal and $.178/kwh)… so I might as well have a hybrid … except when it comes to climate impact. On a cleanish grid it comes out ahead. In any climate remotely warmer than Vermont it will fair much, much better.

My next car will be a plug-in hybrid, hopefully with a good 60mi electric range and possibly all electric drive with gas generator (like the Volt)… and hopefully big enough for the growing kids and vacations!

Interesting. Has anyone heard of the reverse? In extremely hot weather, how does an EV fare. I'm in Phoenix and know that our solar panels lose some efficacy over 105 degrees; so what about EV's and constant AC usage and the heat?  

Before we purchased our 2015 Leaf, I did a lot of free research on sites like MyNissanLeaf.com which is largely an owners' forum and other sites.  You'll enjoy a large volume of helpful feedback from drivers in many different climates.  Short story is that high temperatures can lower battery performance.  There may be sites dedicated to the brand of EV you are considering, but there are a lot of Leaf owners.  The national EERE site might be helpful as well: https://www.energy.gov/eere/electricvehicles/maximizing-electric-ca...

Our experience is that running the AC continuously does not reduce mileage more than 10-15% of maximum range.

I'm on EV's #3 and 4. (Bolt and Tesla)

Never going back. They are simply better. 

Off brand EV's not great for long distance, or even regional just yet, but that should sort itself in a year or two. 

If you get an ICE vehicle, lease. There is going to be a residual issue when you go to sell or trade in if you buy. Soon people simply won't want gasoline cars. 

Gasoline and diesel, which are refined from crude oil, drive the world’s transportation system, including most cars and trucks. The price of crude oil does not operate in accordance with free market supply and demand. Supply is directly controlled, and demand is manipulated. The top three crude oil producing countries are (https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=709&t=6): The U.S. first, under Donald Trump, with Saudi Arabia, under the ruthless Mohammed bin Salman, in 2nd place followed closely by Russia, under dictator Vladimir Putin. As a group these three countries control the availability and price of crude oil. Like it or not, your ability to economically get around in your gasoline or diesel-powered vehicles is in the hands of these three guys.

In addition to being controlled by a handful of countries and men, the flow of oil is centralized and easily disrupted by war. A major new war in the Middle East will send the price of oil 2 or 3 times higher than it is today. Oil is not a stable foundation for the world’s economy. The US is not crude oil independent, despite President Trump’s claims (https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=727&t=6). We remain an importer of crude oil and refined products, and as such are exposed to extreme price swings and supply interruptions caused by geopolitical events.

There is an alternative to crude oil that has none of these vulnerabilities. Electricity. Unlike crude oil, the price of electricity cannot be controlled by a handful of countries and is immune to war in the Middle East. Right now, today, you can generate all the power you need on your roof for both your house and your electric car or truck. Even the big power plants, like the ones operated by Xcel and other utility companies, are fueled by locally produced fuels, are operated by local people, and have no exposure to events in far off lands.

The conversion to electric transportation will dramatically and permanently alter the geopolitical power structure by taking economic power and control out of the hands of tyrants in the Middle East and Russia whose economies are highly dependent on exports of oil and gas. As long as we fuel our cars and trucks with the ancient remains of dead dinosaurs, we will continue to defend the flow of oil in far off lands at the expense of our national blood, treasure and better moral values. Would we be on the verge of a new war in the Middle East if Iran, Iraq and Saudi Arabia had no crude oil? Absolutely not! We would have zero troops there.

The post-apocalyptic Mad Max vehicles won’t be big gasoline and diesel machines, they will be electric machines (think Tesla Cybertruck). You can make electricity at home. You can’t make gasoline. Diesel maybe, but not gasoline. The technology to make your own electric ‘fuel’ is here now.

Electric transportation returns economic power to you, strengthens democracy and reduces American adventurism abroad. Coincidentally, it also reduces air pollution at nose level in cities where EVs are used and thus increases health and life expectancy. The future is electric.

RSS

Forum

building envelope air tightness studies

Started by Greg O'Beirne in General Forum. Last reply by Greg O'Beirne yesterday. 15 Replies

Watts Up? Pro - Software Download

Started by Todd Abercrombie in General Forum. Last reply by Sean Wiens on Saturday. 1 Reply

Thoughts on EVs? Love em or hate em?

Started by Kyle Baker in General Forum. Last reply by Tom Phillips on Friday. 18 Replies

Looking to buy used equipment

Started by Heidi McCullough in General Forum. Last reply by Matt Sharpe on Friday. 1 Reply

Interview Posts for Consumer Education Blog?

Started by Sarah Alexander in General Forum. Last reply by Beverly Lerch Feb 7. 1 Reply

Insulating Chilled/Cold Water Lines

Started by Sean Wiens in HVAC. Last reply by Kent Browning Feb 6. 11 Replies

Your Top Energy Efficiency Tips for the Heating Season

Started by rebecca bridges in Best Practices. Last reply by bebelyn accessdoors Jan 31. 11 Replies

Latest Activity

Greg Sanchez joined allen p tanner's group
Thumbnail

Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase

Discuss the pros and cons of the equipment you are interested in prior to purchase. Post equipment…See More
2 hours ago
Brett Little posted an event

Carbon Negative & Non-Toxic HempWool Insulation - Free CE Webinar at Webinar Online

March 4, 2020 from 12pm to 1:15pm
Hempitecture's Tommy Gibbons explains how and why to incorporate hemp building materials into green…See More
yesterday
Larry Weingarten posted a blog post

Tired of Blackouts? Get Off The Power Grid!

I live in Northern California where PG&E has recently been shutting off power to large areas…See More
yesterday
Greg O'Beirne replied to Greg O'Beirne's discussion building envelope air tightness studies
"Really intersting points being made inthis discussion. Hawaii is on my list of places to visit one…"
yesterday
Sean Wiens replied to Todd Abercrombie's discussion Watts Up? Pro - Software Download
"This may…"
Saturday
Blake Reid replied to Greg O'Beirne's discussion building envelope air tightness studies
"Thanks, man.  It's Aloha Friday and this is contributing to good vibes.  Working on…"
Friday
Kent Browning replied to Greg O'Beirne's discussion building envelope air tightness studies
"Blake - I started to not say anything about 'mild climates like Hawaii'. But I read your…"
Friday
Todd Abercrombie posted a discussion

Watts Up? Pro - Software Download

I haven't used my Watts Up? Pro meter in quite a while, and I'm having trouble pulling data from a…See More
Friday
Blake Reid replied to Greg O'Beirne's discussion building envelope air tightness studies
"I get your points.  Interisland flights are plentiful & cheap (you know, for commuters) -…"
Friday
Building Performance Association commented on Building Performance Association's blog post New Legislation: The Access to Consumer Energy Information Act Aims to Educate Consumers and Enact Change
"Hi Steve - There are only three states in the US that provide this level of access to energy data.…"
Friday
Kent Browning replied to Greg O'Beirne's discussion building envelope air tightness studies
"The problem of available test agencies and test equipment was addressed in the 2009 IECC (and IRC)…"
Friday
Sydney G. Roberts replied to Greg O'Beirne's discussion building envelope air tightness studies
"In response to the chicken-and-egg conundrum, one approach that we used with success in Georgia was…"
Friday

© 2020   Created by Building Performance Association   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service