Consumer demand in real estate continues to trend eco-friendly, according to a new report from the National Association of Realtors

Nearly 60 percent of agents surveyed said that their clients were very or somewhat interested in sustainability. Seven in 10 residential and commercial agents and brokers reported that promoting energy efficiency in listings is either somewhat or very valuable.

A new Zillow analysis shows homes with solar-energy systems sold for 4.1 percent more on average than others nationwide in the past year. The sale premium varies by market — 5.4 percent in New York, 4.4 percent in San Francisco and 3.6 percent in Los Angeles, for example.

“Energy conservation isn’t only good for the environment, it can also translate into big savings on electricity bills as well as help to reduce the strain on the electrical grid,” said Zillow senior economist Sarah Mikhitarian. “Homes with solar-energy systems often sell for more than comparable homes without solar power. This premium is largely reflective of the future energy cost savings associated with the system.”

Read the entire article on Real Estate Weekly

Views: 299

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So true Diane!  I just sold a Pearl Gold Certified home yesterday and it did appraise at full contract price.  Following the guidelines in order to get value for these homes is a requirement for this to happen.  Thanks to educating appraisers, Sandy Adomatis has been our hero in helping these homes gain value!  

This week I'm hoping (2nd showing) that my LEED Platinum listing goes under contract to a set of buyers who also appreciate the extra care and work involved in LEED Certified homes.  It takes the right agent to understand the homes' features so that the public is aware of the benefits included!  After all, when a home has spray foam in the walls and ceiling, no one would know unless that feature was shared!

Informed marketing is an early key in selling anything more than a basic energy efficiency package. Increasingly, real estate agents/brokers are becoming educated and, hopefully, the local multiple listing service and appraisers recognize the value issues and allow sales value increases that lenders will accept and underwrite. Statement of the obvious - All that just to say this transaction is so much more than just a dialog between agent and buyer.  

I totally agree with all the points as it is true that one can go for a home which reduce their energy bill.

You are very correct! Everybody demands a good environment and a sustainable home and for that I had to remodel the main parts of my home like kitchen and bathroom. I also expanded the rooms and made a gallery space and added greenery to that. Now, that the project is done by the San Jose Adu, I am thinking of spending more time here and then quote my home by the contractors

RSS

Forum

Solar Panel Size?

Started by Kyle Baker in Best Practices. Last reply by Franco Oyuela 21 hours ago. 1 Reply

Green Button Connect

Started by Rob Buchanan in General Forum. Last reply by Steve Schmidt 23 hours ago. 1 Reply

Installing High Efficiency Equipment....?

Started by Horace Douglas Hunt, Jr. in General Forum. Last reply by Horace Douglas Hunt, Jr. on Thursday. 5 Replies

ACEEE 2019 State Energy Efficiency Scorecard

Started by Diane Chojnowski in General Forum. Last reply by Horace Douglas Hunt, Jr. Nov 29. 1 Reply

HVAC Contractors Expand Their Role in Home Performance

Started by Diane Chojnowski in General Forum. Last reply by Horace Douglas Hunt, Jr. Nov 29. 1 Reply

States with the Most Energy-Efficient Construction Jobs in 2019

Latest Activity

Profile IconStarRFoam and Victoria Tan joined Home Energy Pros Forum
1 hour ago
Stanley Widener commented on Laurie Guevara-Stone's blog post Equity and Climate: A Solution for Home Rentals
"Sometimes the "stick" approach works, but I would anticipate significant pushback from…"
2 hours ago
Franco Oyuela replied to Kyle Baker's discussion Solar Panel Size?
"Standard Solar Panel Sizes. https://www.newcentralairconditioner.com/ Traditional solar panels…"
21 hours ago
Tom Wilson joined John Poole's group
Thumbnail

Historic Home

Historic and vintage homes are significant to our cultural heritage, yet often lack energy…See More
23 hours ago
Steve Schmidt replied to Rob Buchanan's discussion Green Button Connect
"Yes, we (HEA.com) have been using various Green Button Connect services since 2012 from utilities…"
23 hours ago
John Roberts replied to Tom Smith's discussion Assessing the true end user price of installing a new boiler?
"I think that there needs to be some kind of regulation with the boiler industry as there are so…"
yesterday
John Roberts is now a member of Home Energy Pros Forum
Sunday
Profile IconOakridge solar, DUANE QUENZER and Guy DuBois joined Home Energy Pros Forum
Saturday
Scott Mills posted a video

High Performance Homes Simplified by Scott Mills in Basalt, CO on 7/12/19

Learn the why and how of building and financing a Positive Energy home. Designed for builders and architects to understand the simple techniques and "Right steps at the right time".
Saturday
Brett Little's 2 videos were featured
Friday
Chris Johnson liked Diane Chojnowski's discussion ACEEE 2019 State Energy Efficiency Scorecard
Thursday
Horace Douglas Hunt, Jr. replied to Horace Douglas Hunt, Jr.'s discussion Installing High Efficiency Equipment....?
"I too do not wish to see 80% equipment in homes, it was a point i was making."
Thursday

© 2019   Created by Building Performance Association   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service