Reaching out to the experts today to ask about location of installation of a mini split.  I'm a realtor, not an HVAC contractor.   I'm working on a "flip" that will be more energy efficient than most, think HPwES.  For the separate detached casita we are replacing a window AC unit placed in a sealed off window with a new 3 x 3 window and a mini-split.  An HVAC contractor is proposing the muni-split to be installed on the same south facing wall as the newly installed window.  

The picture belows shows the entire lot and arrow pointing toward the detached casita.  It looks attached, except that the white patio covering does not have walls.  It backs up to the outside laundry room which backs up to the carport and ensuing driveway. 

An HVAC contractor has proposed it best to install the new window and mini-split on the same south facing wall of the casita.  

My idea is to install  the mini-split on the west wall.  Your first thought is why the west wall.  The west wall is in the middle of the casita, across from the front door.  There is a bathroom inside this unit, to the right of the entry door.  The entry door ison the east/right side of the casita.   I also think of air flow and how one affects te other?  We have wonderful winters in Arizona where we can sleep with the windowss open.  We could expand the window size to 4 x 4 if the mini-split was on another wall. 

My question to you all is - which wall would you install a minisplit?  

On the same south wall where the window is located; 

On the west wall to be more centrall located; or 

On the east wall to the left of the entry door?  

Tags: #Airflow, #HVAC, #minisplit, #remodel

Views: 676

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree that the south wall would be shaded for the warmer summer months, but it won't look right aesthetically having a window and a wall-mount mini-split on a 7' wall.  I think the wider west wall would be better. We can place it low enough, 12" below, and it would look fine.  

Thank you all so much for your time and talent.  I appreciate your wisdom! 

Thank you!  Most people think cheap when they hear the word "flip."  While cost is a factor, our mission is not cheap but efficient.  We're also installing all new ducts in the main house, new HVAC roof mount.  Removing an old evap cooler on the east side of the house and all of that ductwork; installing all new appliances; hopefully, sunscreens.  

I think we are going with the west wall given that it will be on the long wall.  I may report back on a separate post the outcome as I've been going back and forth with an energy auditor and HVAC company on best practices for this location.  

Thank you for your comments!

The house structure matters a lot for the installation of the heating system because if the insulation is poor then the system will not provide proper coolness or heat properly in all directions. The system needs the best installation by the professional contractors like All Week Heating for the system to give longer services. Because the duration of the system depends half on the installation and half on the use and maintenance of the system. 

RSS

Latest Activity

Precise Lighting posted a discussion

Best Home Interior Lighting Trends In 2019

If lighting updates are your agenda for this year, then we are here to help you with a roundup of…See More
3 hours ago
Bob Krell commented on Bob Krell's event IAQ & Energy 2019 Conference
"Save 20% off the Online Attendee or 15% off the In-person Attendee price with this Special Offer…"
8 hours ago
Bob Krell posted an event
Thumbnail

IAQ & Energy 2019 Conference at Holiday Inn, Portland, ME/Online Live Stream

October 31, 2019 to November 1, 2019
8 hours ago
David Butler replied to Ed Minch's discussion Solar performance anomaly
"@Daniel, Ed said he has a revenue grade SREC meter, which presumably is the one he's using…"
15 hours ago
Larry Weingarten's blog post was featured

Hot Water Heaven

The real world isn't an easy place to be idealistic about hot water systems and what could be. …See More
19 hours ago
Diane Chojnowski posted a discussion

Presentation slides from the 2019 Building Science Summer Camp

The presentation slides from the 2019 Building Science Summer Camp are posted on the Building…See More
19 hours ago
Bruce A. Bailey replied to Ed Minch's discussion Solar performance anomaly
"I would begin by asking your power company for the hourly numbers for the billing period. Depending…"
21 hours ago
Daniel Baur-McGuire replied to Ed Minch's discussion Solar performance anomaly
"I have run into this twice. Both times it was the way the utility calculated and billed for…"
22 hours ago
Jonah Nova is now a member of Home Energy Pros Forum
yesterday
Larry Weingarten posted a blog post

Hot Water Heaven

The real world isn't an easy place to be idealistic about hot water systems and what could be. …See More
yesterday
Jason Raddenbach liked rebecca bridges's discussion Your Top Energy Efficiency Tips for the Heating Season
yesterday
Brett Little replied to Ed Minch's discussion Solar performance anomaly
"Frustrating! Can't help you there but I have a question. Do you use any other energy? gas or…"
yesterday

© 2019   Created by Building Performance Association   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service