A local business has the main duct plenums for return and supply located outside going to an RTU furnace/AC on the ground. Two trunks around 10ft. They are insulated on the inside but does not look to be the best done job. And, NO it is not possible to move the systems inside at the moment. They are planning an addition in a yr or two and would like a temp solution. It is in Iowa, in a heating and cooling climate. 

How do I insulate the system better. I would like to spray foam the outside of the duct work with a closed cell product. 

Does anyone know of a good working product that is UV rated? Or, is it best to just paint over top?

Tags: HVAC, insulation, outdoor

Views: 252

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Spray closed cell & then paint over / check with manufacturer for recommend products

Thats what I figured. Just wanted to see if there was a product that would do both in one application. 

I have done this a lot.   I use sheet foam and wrap with PTO - PVC Just like a roof

Hello, Another approach would be to wrap the duct in fiberglass and then use a sheet metal (aluminum) cover, caulked at the seams to prevent any sort of moisture from getting in. This will be much easier to modify later on. 

Yours,  Larry

Due to just needing a temporary fix, I'd seal the ducts, wrap them in vinyl coated R-19 and build a weather resistant cover over everything. This would be the easiest to de-construct in the next couple of years and also give your clients enhanced HVAC performance. 

Cheers,
MJ

You have to think about the skills of worker.  cost of the Job.  There is maybe 8000 ways to seal and add "R" to duct work. 

One system we specify was a contractor suggestion. The "old way" was board insulation and so-forth, pretty common but with a covering of roof membrane to match the roof material. That worked great except it was not a sanctioned application for warranty of the roof membrane and the labor aspects crossed lines of filed sub-bid rules with our public bid laws. Whatever.... 

The substitution we now accept is the same base layer: Seal the duct work to Seal Class A/Leakage Class 1 if you can test that low. ("Seal the crap out of it"- if I could put that in my specs, I would.) Two layers, staggered and taped but with the vapor barrier ONLY on the outside layer. Not two layers each with FSK for example. 

Minimum application would be a base layer of 1.5" which infills between the Ductmate/TDF flanges and subsequent "build layers" over that for full R value.  Makes a smooth surface.  An inverted 1" angle iron and score on the top sheet gives pitch if you like.  Corners are finished with drywall type corner beads and finishing cement. 

Now the finish:

The exterior part is a product of Venture Systems, Venture Clad, which is an aluminum sheet with peel and stick adhesive.  It has, usually, a leather-grain finish, is highly UV resistant though reflective. It is applied using good principles of  lapping. Start low and overlap as you go up over the top.

https://www.airconditionersductless.com/

Insulating any kind of ducting in your home is important to prevent heat loss, which can result in higher than normal heating bills. Ducting that runs outside your home requires even more insulation because it is exposed to the outside elements, such as cold weather and rain. You can insulate an outdoor duct with the proper supplies and some moderate handyman skills.

Step 1
Remove old or damaged ducting insulation with heavy duty cutting shears. Many outside ducts have the wrong kind of insulation on them and are probably not weather resistant.

Step 2
Scrape off any remaining insulation pieces, glue or tape residue with the putty knife.

Step 3
Clean the duct area with the degreser and clean rags. The new ducting insulation won't stick well unless the surface is clean.

Step 4
Install new, foil-style duct insulation, which comes in rolls that are different lengths and widths and that has a foil backing on both sides with air pockets in-between. The R-value on foil-backed duct insulation is usually 65 or higher, making it a good choice for outside ducting.

Step 5
Start at one end, and wrap the foil-backed duct insulation around the ducting. Use overlapping wraps as you go from one end of the duct to the next.

Use metal tape to seal any seams. It has a sticky back and is specially designed for duct sealing.

It tears off of the roll just like duct tape does.

Step 6
Cut any corner seams with the heavy duty cutting shears. Cut them at a 45-degree angle.

Use the metal tape to close the cut seams. Overlap the coner seams a bit to make certain no leaks occur.

Step 7
Install heavy plastic sheeting over any ducts exposed more directly to rain or snow. Staple the heavy plastic sheeting to the walls and the bottom of the roof overhang.

If you are looking for just a couple year fix, take a look at the attached pictures.  I think spray foam and then wrapping with Radiant Barrier Foil For Outdoor Use will work great.  These are pictures a customer sent us.  They were using portable AC Trucks to cool the building while it was being renovated/replaced but could not get the air cold enough due to the length and sun.  They wrapped the ducts and instantly the air temperature dropped over 20-30 degrees.  I would not recommend this as a "forever" solution, but would work great combined with foam for a couple years.  Hope this helps!

RSS

Forum Discussions

More people than ever think green when buying a home

Started by Diane Chojnowski in General Forum. Last reply by Michael Cuomo 4 hours ago. 2 Replies

Worst boiler ever?

Started by Mark Furst in General Forum. Last reply by Dennis Heidner 15 hours ago. 4 Replies

How to Insulate Exposed Outdoor Ductwork?? Help

Started by Daniel Baur-McGuire in General Forum. Last reply by Ed Fritz 20 hours ago. 9 Replies

REALLY????

Started by Danny Gough in HVAC. Last reply by Danny Gough on Saturday. 12 Replies

Where to spend my marketing dollars?

Started by Trip Smith in Marketing. Last reply by Building Performance Institute May 14. 10 Replies

Easy Tests for HVAC during audit

Started by Craig Bird in Weatherization. Last reply by John White May 9. 19 Replies

Water heater ventilation question

Started by Luis Hernandez in General Forum. Last reply by Dennis Heidner May 8. 23 Replies

Latest Activity

Michael Cuomo replied to Diane Chojnowski's discussion More people than ever think green when buying a home
"I totally agree with all the points as it is true that one can go for a home which reduce their…"
4 hours ago
Future Solar WA posted a blog post

How much does a 1.5kW solar power system cost in Perth?

Mostly the cost of 1.5kW solar power system depends on the region and it’s DNI (a measure of amount…See More
4 hours ago
Edwin Rodriguez-Ubinas posted photos
7 hours ago
Drew Cameron is now a member of Home Energy Pros Forum
8 hours ago
Dennis Heidner replied to Mark Furst's discussion Worst boiler ever?
"Wow,  a combination boiler and basement fireplace... great for toasting marshmellows and…"
15 hours ago
Joe Hughes posted an event

IAQ Radio - Episode 547 - Flashback Friday - Claudette Hanks Reichel, Ed.D at Online Live

May 24, 2019 from 12pm to 1pm
Claudette Hanks Reichel, Ed.DBuilding Science & Housing Resilience: Bringing Research to…See More
18 hours ago
Ed Minch replied to Mark Furst's discussion Worst boiler ever?
"that's right up there"
18 hours ago
Jim Gunshinan posted a blog post
18 hours ago

© 2019   Created by Building Performance Association   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service