Are there studies or have you had experiences where heat pumps have failed to cool on high heat days? We've known that cold climate heat pumps are needed in areas with colder climates (like Denver) however news of failure rates tied to high heat days was new. Looking for input to inform whether or not this is common or still being tested in different climate zones. 

Thanks!

Tags: climate, cold, heat, pump

Views: 202

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Eric and David you may find this laboratory study of real world dirty AC coils brought in to the lab and studied how they worked. They tested the dirty air conditioners, then washed them thoroughly with a garden hose and tested again. They also used a commercial coil cleaning fluid and tested them for a third time.

On average cleaning did not improve performance, because somewhat dirty coils turned out to work 7% better than clean coils and clogged coils worked 7% worse

https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/article/can-skip-chore

Walta

Dig into this a little more and you find this - 

https://m.facebook.com/valatmeasurequick/videos/929282937246833/?re...

He makes the point repeatedly that that study was misquoted, misunderstood or flawed in some way. I agree there is little to no value in cleaning a relatively clean coil. But if the coil is dirty enough to restrict the air flow - there are major issues like loss of cooling, high energy consumption and part failure.

I am not slamming that study referenced on GBA. If I understand what it said, they removed condensers from the house and took them to a lab to be measured. Or did they remove the whole system? They are trying to to do laboratory quality measurement on real world problems. That is always tough.

Back to the original question - I don't see that heat pump vs straight cooling is more failure prone by this. Heat pumps run a longer portion of the year so I expect them to need more maintenance. But I don't see heat pumps to be extremely failure prone. YMMV

RSS

Latest Activity

Precise Lighting posted a discussion

Best Home Interior Lighting Trends In 2019

If lighting updates are your agenda for this year, then we are here to help you with a roundup of…See More
4 hours ago
Bob Krell commented on Bob Krell's event IAQ & Energy 2019 Conference
"Save 20% off the Online Attendee or 15% off the In-person Attendee price with this Special Offer…"
9 hours ago
Bob Krell posted an event
Thumbnail

IAQ & Energy 2019 Conference at Holiday Inn, Portland, ME/Online Live Stream

October 31, 2019 to November 1, 2019
9 hours ago
David Butler replied to Ed Minch's discussion Solar performance anomaly
"@Daniel, Ed said he has a revenue grade SREC meter, which presumably is the one he's using…"
16 hours ago
Larry Weingarten's blog post was featured

Hot Water Heaven

The real world isn't an easy place to be idealistic about hot water systems and what could be. …See More
20 hours ago
Diane Chojnowski posted a discussion

Presentation slides from the 2019 Building Science Summer Camp

The presentation slides from the 2019 Building Science Summer Camp are posted on the Building…See More
20 hours ago
Bruce A. Bailey replied to Ed Minch's discussion Solar performance anomaly
"I would begin by asking your power company for the hourly numbers for the billing period. Depending…"
22 hours ago
Daniel Baur-McGuire replied to Ed Minch's discussion Solar performance anomaly
"I have run into this twice. Both times it was the way the utility calculated and billed for…"
23 hours ago
Jonah Nova is now a member of Home Energy Pros Forum
yesterday
Larry Weingarten posted a blog post

Hot Water Heaven

The real world isn't an easy place to be idealistic about hot water systems and what could be. …See More
yesterday
Jason Raddenbach liked rebecca bridges's discussion Your Top Energy Efficiency Tips for the Heating Season
yesterday
Brett Little replied to Ed Minch's discussion Solar performance anomaly
"Frustrating! Can't help you there but I have a question. Do you use any other energy? gas or…"
yesterday

© 2019   Created by Building Performance Association   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service