Hey Guys,

Im looking at buying energy efficient windows for my home. I hear they can considerably reduce heating loss in winter while keeping the place cool in Summer. Does anyone know rounghly how much they cost and are they worth the investment?

Looking here - https://priceexperts.co.uk/window-prices/energy-efficient/ - there’s a rough estimate. Does anyone have any experience cost versus benefit?

Thanks!

Tags: efficient, energy

Views: 932

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have read some of the comments where everyone explains payback.... long story short explore companies like Magnetite, Indow etc. Well worth the money at a less cost and less mess to the home/ better performance than new windows with less ROI. 

The Efficient Windows Collaborative's Window Selection Tool can help with some cost numbers.

https://www.efficientwindows.org/existing_selection1.php

Of course as mentioned in the earlier posts, efficient windows are replaced often for other reasons than for cost. There are the benefits of possible lower HVAC cost (if replacing mechanical equipment), improved comfort (less drafts, solar gain), reduced condensation, and reduced fading. The other benefit of replacing windows, if doing other energy-efficient measures, is it an energy-efficient replacement measure that is visible curbside. This can be good for resale value.

Despite many fine comments, in the end, you either run your home's data through energy modeling software or you're just guessing.

In most (but not all) cases, window replacement will not return a payback in energy savings within even 15-20 years.

Agree, for some highly efficient windows. Hence my comment about replacing windows for other reasons than efficiency measures.

After testing many hundreds of homes over the years I find that replacing windows is usually the least of people's needs. In older homes there's much more effective ways to spend that money doing air sealing and insulating, usually for quite a bit less.

After that's done then it's worth thinking about windows for energy efficiency reasons. That said, there are other perfectly valid reasons to change out your windows such as security, cosmetic, safety (painted shut) and safety (painted shut with lead based paint).

While people do like to talk about energy efficiency it's been my experience that changing out windows affects comfort much more than bottom line energy bills. The question I ask my customers who might be trying to decide whether to replace windows is "what's your comfort worth?"

No matter what the salesman tell you, Energy savings from Windows are about 2 to 3% of the total energy bill. That's a lot of investment for not much Payback especially when you consider the cost of 10 to $20,000 in Windows. Usually the best money spent on efficiency is more insulation, more insulation, and then more insulation.

And like my own house, lots of air sealing

There are so many factors to consider when replacing windows. For example, if you block the heat gain from the winter sun, it will increase your heat load. But if the home has deciduous shade or awnings that will block the summer sun, then you could use a lower SHGC and retain the winter heat gain. Not all windows in the home need to have the same SHGC. Leaky, drafty windows need to be replaced, but you need to understand the SHGC and the U Value.

So many replies - obviously this is a hot topic :)

I agree that unless the existing windows are single pane, changing windows for the sake of energy savings is not cost effective.

I haven't read all the posts but I didn't see anyone mentioning low-e storm windows. The cost of the product would be much less and the cost of installation would also be much easier and much less expensive so they are considered cost effective here in the northwest. Last I heard, some of these are at the precipice of achieving the Energy Star designation.

Installing glass over glass does not make sense given glass has a poor thermal rating, even if it is properly air sealed and low -e. Take a good look at Magnetite and/or Indow those numbers make sense.

There is more to windows than just their individual performance- they are usually the least efficient part of the building envelope.  That means that in cold temperatures- they are the surface for condensation of moisture- and if that's not controlled- mold and rot.  Replacing windows and controlling condensation are items that need to be considered together, as even with good interior air circulation the differential R value will still lead to condensation. 

RSS

Latest Activity

Joanne Brown commented on Diane Chojnowski's group News & Announcements
"Our CEO co-wrote an article in the March edition of Healthy Indoors Magazine. It is on the success…"
27 minutes ago
Joanne Brown liked Diane Chojnowski's discussion Home Depot Rebates for Members
30 minutes ago
Clifford Babson is now a member of Home Energy Pros Forum
2 hours ago
Emily Ambrose's blog post was featured
2 hours ago
Profile IconMike Senty and Tom Hennessey joined Home Energy Pros Forum
yesterday
Profile IconEmily Cleath and Robert Sroufe joined Home Energy Pros Forum
Friday
Emily Ambrose posted a blog post
Thursday
Nicholas Burger joined Don Fugler's group
Thumbnail

Kitchen Ventilation

In many homes, cooking is the largest indoor source of air pollutants. Exposures can be higher in…See More
Thursday

© 2019   Created by Home Performance Coalition (HPC)   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service