This is one of my "Energy Tip of the Week" articles. If you are an energy pro please add to my free energy measures list below, thanks.
Here are some great FREE ways to make your home more energy efficient and comfortable.
- Close your windows. Sound simple but you have to close AND lock a window for it to protect your home from incoming winter air. This applies to storm windows too.
- Use window shades to block the sun in the summer and keep out the cold in the winter when it’s cloudy or dark. Let the winter sun shine in though for free solar energy.
- Use your setback thermostats. Most homes already have setback thermostats but most homeowners don't bother using them. Don't be afraid, it isn't that hard, spend a few moments to figure our how to program the thermostat, it will save you money.
- If you have an air handler with ductwork in the basement, check to see if there are vents or big holes cut into the ductwork to supply warm air to your unfinished basement. If so then shut them off or seal them up.
- Clean the air filters in your HVAC system. It is generally better to replace your air filters but most can be cleaned with a vacuum or washed.
- Close your chimney flue when not in use.
- If you are using an old refrigerator (more than 10 years old) in the basement just get rid of it. Do you really need it? If you do then replace it with a new Energy Star model (I know that's not free).
- And of course the cheapest energy is always the energy you don't waste. Remember what your Dad always said "turn off the lights".