What can an occupant do to reduce cooking emissions, regardless of whether or not they have a ducted range hood?  We have over 150 families who have participated in the ROCIS Low Cost Monitoring Project (LCMP), and as such, had the opportunity to get immediate feedback on household particle counts as they cooked.  Chime in with what worked, and what did not.

Tags: IAQ, behavior, burnt bacon, cooling, emissions, lifestyle, particles, spikes

Views: 236

Replies to This Discussion

See the description of Alice La Pierre's emission reductions on the "Comment Wall".

Cook outside, as much as you can, and close your doors/windows while you do it ;) 

I found that I was less likely to prompt a large spike when I started the pan on medium heat rather than high. It did delay the cooking somewhat and I wonder if I was seeing reduced particles due to this delay rather than any absolute emission reduction. I often start with the same preparation - cast iron skillet, oil, one chopped onion - so food and cookware variations were not a big factor.

What we did see, anecdotally, in that 150 house sample is that range hood use did correspond with lower indoor particle peaks, as measured by the Dylos instrument. We did not have enough of a controlled experiment to do quantification. 

See list of Easy Ways to Reduce Exposure (and in some cases, toxicity) in the ROCIS Range Hood best practices guide and the NAPHN 18 slide show.

Cooking outside also helps keep the house cooler in the summer, but can add to outdoor air pollution and GHGs if using a fossil fuel.  BTW, I will ask Santa for a solar cooker, or make one from an old aquaruium.

RSS

Discussion Forum

Difficult retrofits

Started by Don Fugler Nov 7. 0 Replies

Good Eating with Reduced Cooking Emissions

Started by Linda Wigington. Last reply by Tom Phillips Oct 25. 5 Replies

Choosing a range hood

Started by Don Fugler. Last reply by Tom Phillips Sep 25. 7 Replies

Depressurization/make-up air issues

Started by Don Fugler. Last reply by Don Fugler Aug 28. 2 Replies

Recirculating hoods

Started by Don Fugler Aug 26. 0 Replies

Latest Activity

Profile IconJames Pollard and William Hoey joined Home Energy Pros Forum
yesterday
David Butler replied to Brett Little's discussion Do ductless systems do better on the HERS?
"Hi Sean, my comment re: actionable cooling load was about the application of ductless, not related…"
Friday
Sean Lintow Sr replied to Brett Little's discussion Do ductless systems do better on the HERS?
"Assuming same efficiency - apples to apples - off the top of my head the only way a ducted system…"
Friday
David Butler replied to Brett Little's discussion Do ductless systems do better on the HERS?
"By 'actionable', I mean the load is such that the homeowner actually needs to use A/C, as…"
Friday
Paul Zabriskie is now a member of Home Energy Pros Forum
Thursday
Brett Little replied to Brett Little's discussion Do ductless systems do better on the HERS?
"When you say actionable cooling loads you mean higher than heating loads?  I need to see…"
Thursday
"Since the Home Performance Forum archives are hosted on a different server with different software,…"
Thursday
tedkidd replied to Gordon Smith's discussion Duct Cleaning? Good value or a waste of money?
"Why are they calling? Get 4 or 5 why's. Are supplies dirty?! Why!! In most cases, changing…"
Thursday

© 2018   Created by Home Performance Coalition (HPC)   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service