It is one thing to retrofit a range hood in a single family building with the stove against an outside wall. Conditions will often be more difficult than that. How do you retrofit a range hood into an apartment in a multi-storey building? In a house, what happens if the kitchen is set up to have the cooking surfaces against an inner wall? We have considered suggestions such as tying the range hood ducting into existing exhaust ducting (e.g. a large bathroom fan) or running ducting through a basement under the kitchen.

Have you installed or seen a retrofit such as this and what solutions seem to have worked?

Views: 103

Replies to This Discussion

I might mock up something in my own house as I currently lack a range hood. There is a (too small) 4 inch duct already built into the wall over the range. I could probably use a variable speed in-line fan on that duct and create a hood out of cardboard to test effectiveness. The stove, and the cabinet recess above, is only 21 inches wide - there is no off-the-shelf hood for that arrangement.

RSS

Discussion Forum

Depressurization/make-up air issues

Started by Don Fugler. Last reply by Luke Langhals on Tuesday. 14 Replies

Difficult retrofits

Started by Don Fugler. Last reply by Don Fugler Jan 8. 1 Reply

Kitchen Ventilation Resources

Started by Tom Phillips. Last reply by Don Fugler Dec 28, 2018. 2 Replies

Good Eating with Reduced Cooking Emissions

Started by Linda Wigington. Last reply by Tom Phillips Dec 27, 2018. 7 Replies

Choosing a range hood

Started by Don Fugler. Last reply by Tom Phillips Sep 25, 2018. 7 Replies

Latest Activity

Christian F is now a member of Home Energy Pros Forum
yesterday
Daniel Baur-McGuire replied to Diane Chojnowski's discussion Check out the new Home Diagnosis TV Series on Public TV
"I've been waiting for this show to release! Corbett always is worth a watch. Check out his…"
Friday
Profile IconMaria M Hernandez and Robert Corbyn joined Home Energy Pros Forum
Friday
Diane Chojnowski posted a discussion

Home Diagnosis Episode 2: Environmental Sensitivity and Healthy Homes

Check this out! You can watch Episode 2 of Home Diagnosis on PBS or on YouTube.Episode 2 visits a…See More
Friday
Diane Chojnowski replied to Diane Deyerler's discussion Energy OutWest 2020
"Hi Diane, This looks like a great event! Please post it on our event calendar and we'll share…"
Friday
Robert Corbyn posted photos
Friday
Milli Cater commented on Crosbey Archery's blog post Setting up Your HVAC for Fall Maintenance
"Life means many things, but besides taking care of your family, home and working, you should take…"
Friday
Coby Rudolph commented on Jim Gunshinan's blog post What Are the Nation's Best Utility Energy Efficiency Programs?
"Interesting. Something needs to change when 30% of the exemplary programs (16 out of 53) saw…"
Thursday

© 2019   Created by Home Performance Coalition (HPC)   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service