We thought it'd be fit to share this infrared image we received from group member, CK Ang, in New Zealand. Just wanted to spark some discussion here on what you guys think this image is of, and what the problem could be. 

A little background on the photo:
  • Image was taken with a Fluke Ti55FT thermal imager with a telephoto lens, as to not get too close.
  • Emissivity setting for the image was set to .20, which may be generous considering what the material appears to be made of.

CK - feel free to add any additional comments that might help steer the group members in the right direction! And thanks again for the image. We'll post up the visible light image & answer by Thursday.

Tags: Ang, CK, Fluke, Ti55FT, image, imager, infrared, lens, telephoto, thermal

Views: 431

Replies to This Discussion

Here is a fun image I took recently as part of my collection of "low-emissivity" buildings...

Thermally yours!

John Snell

www.thesnellgroup.com

www.IRTalk.com

Attachments:

Hmmmm... perhaps a corrugated tin or copper roof with a decorative railing around it?   The High-Contrast palette really makes it difficult to interpret and place this image.   How about a hint or a palette change for us?

Corrugated and galvanized metal siding on a building with a handicap ramp and railing in front. Interesting ot me is the moire pattern created at this angle of view.

I was close in materials at least!  ;-)     Part of the pattern may be directly related to the palette presentation.  I have found that because of the  "unnatural" color juxtapositions in the High-Contrast color palette, there can often be odd patterns that occur when diagonal angles are present.   High-Contrast color palettes, in general, just don't "blend" colors like some other choices. They can also appear to be more susceptible to "noise".  This makes them really pull out details, but sometimes at the expense of smoothness or ease of interpretation.   Definitely an interesting image nontheless!

really great image, i think very good for courses.

i'd like to get, as said in the starting post, the visual image !

John, do you have a visual of your image too ?

Some kind of cast manifold with a cooling liquid in the lower half.

RSS

Discussion Forum

Having some fun with our cameras

Started by Mike Pagozalski. Last reply by Mike Pagozalski Jul 31, 2017. 2 Replies

Expert Eye Needed

Started by Matthew P. Last reply by Ed Minch Nov 15, 2014. 17 Replies

Google Thermal View?

Started by Joshua Knittel. Last reply by tedkidd Jun 1, 2013. 4 Replies

Infrared Image - What is it?

Started by Fluke Thermal Imaging. Last reply by Dale Sherman Apr 26, 2012. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

Profile IconDEREK KENNA, Matt Peterson and Dennis plamer joined Home Energy Pros Forum
6 hours ago
Jim Gunshinan's blog post was featured

Our First Year with Solar Panels, by Chris Stratton

A local solar company putting supports for PV panels on our roof. No that's not a tiny man on the…See More
21 hours ago
Alfie Davis posted a photo

Quadtrant A1 Cleaning Checklist

Quadtrant A1 offers high-quality office cleaning and maintenance services for commercial and office…
yesterday
John White posted photos
yesterday
Jim Gunshinan liked Home Performance Coalition's blog post New Consortium for Energy Efficiency Report – High Stakes for Energy Efficiency
yesterday
Jim Gunshinan posted a blog post

Our First Year with Solar Panels, by Chris Stratton

A local solar company putting supports for PV panels on our roof. No that's not a tiny man on the…See More
yesterday
Jim Gunshinan liked Don Fugler's group Kitchen Ventilation
yesterday
Jim Gunshinan liked Don Fugler's group Kitchen Ventilation
yesterday
Franco Oyuela commented on John White's blog post Top 5 Ways to Conserve Energy and Save on Your Air Conditioner Bill
"Summertime, and your air conditioning unit at home will be asked to work super hard in this peak…"
yesterday
Diane Chojnowski's video was featured

The Business of Deep Energy Retrofits

Paul Eldrenkamp has more than 30 years experience in construction and specializes in energy efficiency. In this interview Paul discusses ways to standardize deep energy retrofits. He offers tips for executing projects and managing homeowner…
yesterday
Diane Chojnowski posted a video

The Business of Deep Energy Retrofits

Paul Eldrenkamp has more than 30 years experience in construction and specializes in energy efficiency. In this interview Paul discusses ways to standardize ...
yesterday
Julie Rosati is now a member of Home Energy Pros Forum
yesterday
Daniel Baur-McGuire replied to Jerry Needham's discussion Condensation on ceiling and walls of master bedroom
"Sounds like u opened the hornets nest! I would say a 2600 sq ft home shouldn't need more than…"
yesterday
Terry Hill posted an event

Passive House Institute US 2018 Conference at Boston

September 19, 2018 at 6pm to September 23, 2018 at 7pm
Annual conferenceSee More
yesterday
John White posted a blog post

Top 5 Ways to Conserve Energy and Save on Your Air Conditioner Bill

Air conditioners are the essential bastions of cool breezes when the mercury skyrockets and the hot…See More
Monday
Jerry Needham replied to Jerry Needham's discussion Condensation on ceiling and walls of master bedroom
Saturday
Gabriel Rojas joined Don Fugler's group
Thumbnail

Kitchen Ventilation

In many homes, cooking is the largest indoor source of air pollutants. Exposures can be higher in…See More
Saturday
Gabriel Rojas joined Bob Krell's group
Thumbnail

Healthy Indoors (IAQ)

The Healthy Indoors group is focused on indoor air quality (IAQ), mold, moisture control, radon,…See More
Saturday
Leslie Jackson commented on David Byrnes's blog post What air conditioner filters work best?
"Hello, Leslie here, with Home Energy magazine. We just got an inquiry from a reader about a DIY air…"
Friday
Profile IconJoe Baumgardner and Steven Grevelis joined Home Energy Pros Forum
Friday

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2018   Created by Home Performance Coalition (HPC)   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service