A question came up on exhaust duct connections. I have always considered screws necessary for mechanical fastening of one duct to another. I have been reminded recently that screws impede airflow and catch particles and fibers, all of which is probably true. My source then said that, in their opinion, all ducts should be joined solely by either tape or mastic, or a combination of the two. Is this common practice? Does this increase the time of installation? Does it hold up over time, especially in horizontal runs?

I would appreciate any advice you have.

Views: 271

Replies to This Discussion

I often suggest pop-rivets as an alternative to sheet metal screws for both clothes dryer duct work and for gutters and downspouts, for similar reasons.  The obvious downsides include the need to drill a hole in addition to installing a fastener (slower installation and additional tools), and more difficult disassembly (pop-rivets must be drilled out).  It is good news IMHO that the codes require metal duct work and prohibit the use of screws.  Thanks for that research David.

one maker of duct fans kits puts in #6X 3/8" with 1/4" hex head metal screws.  If you over crimp the 4" pipe will not start the 3/8" long screw.  google" How to prevent fires in  clothes dryers"  I have seen 20+ fires from dryers in 45 yr.  they flash fire with extra air.  Dryer vent need to be cleaned each 6 mo - so how are you going to take it apart to clean?

www.consumerreports.org/clothes-dryer/how-to-prevent-dryer-fires/

www.electrical-forensics.com/Dryer/ElectricClothesDryers

See my reply to Don Fugler earlier. Dryer ducts can usually be cleaned effectivly with a shop-vac and the right connector. The difficulty is getting access to the duct. This is why we recommend this product http://www.fantech.net/enca/home/Products/fans--accessories/accesso... mostly because it gives a good access point for cleaning the duct.

I hear what you are all saying about dryer vents, and how screws there should be avoided (as long as there is some way to clean the duct). Let's move the discussion to kitchen exhaust fan vents. What I gather from this conversation is that the best method would be to pop rivet the sections together, even though this is not a common practice. Then you get the benefits of mechanical fastening without the penetration of screws. I presume that there would have to be screws at some disassembly point for cleaning, unless there is a proprietary duct joining system that works with the lengths being fastened. 

Comments?

The best connector would be what is called generically a "Draw-Band". The Hart & Cooley Catalogue calls theirs the "QC" and it is shown on page 12 of their accessory catalogue (attached). Fantech also has these. These are fairly easy to make up for a sheet metal worker so that is why they are not so popular as purchased items. We use them when we need to get access to a certain component or into a duct easily in the future. An easy way to make them up is to get a length or round duct one or two sizes larger than the one you want to join, cut off a 4" strip, cut-off the snap-lock, wrap the piece you just made around the joint and secure with two suitably sized gear-clamps. We used them at the CCHT when we were installed flow-stations in all of the branch ducts for the zoned HVAC study.

Attachments:

I agree with Dara's approach, I haven't used the Hart and Cooley QC clamp, nor have I fabricated my own, but I have had success with the Fantech FC Series Clamps.     

The Fantech clamps have the advantage of a rubber liner that also dampens vibration and noise.

I use 5" worm gear clamps  for 4" steel pipe takes a 5/16 nut driver, very easy to clean.  I use a long sweep 4"  28 gage elbow and and use tin snips cut back 3/4'  6 lines then clamp between dryer and  pipe so its easy to clean.

You guys have been really helpful. One more question if you have the time ...

If you are hanging horizontal (mostly horizontal) metal exhaust duct runs, is there a specification for the number or location of duct hangers?

Thanks.

That would be in the SMACNA installation standards, but I will not be in the office until Monday & I do not have an E-copy that I can access.

RSS

Discussion Forum

Manual S for Water Furnace Equipment

Started by Jeremy Begley. Last reply by Danny Gough Mar 23. 6 Replies

joining ducts

Started by Don Fugler. Last reply by Dara Bowser Nov 28, 2017. 21 Replies

HVAC integration – the past, the present, and the future

Started by Igor Mitbarg. Last reply by Lucifer Prescott Apr 11, 2017. 1 Reply

Latest Activity

David Byrnes's video was featured

Why One Room Is Hotter Than Others

Ever wonder if your air conditioner is working right because one room never gets a cool or warm as others? Do you need a bigger air conditioner to fix a room...
6 hours ago
Profile IconEric MacCallum, Adam Morgan and Caolan Hutchens joined Home Energy Pros Forum
20 hours ago
David Butler replied to Jan Green's discussion Mini split installation location
"Really hard to advise without knowing the layout. But you're asking good questions. Any chance…"
21 hours ago
Jan Green posted a discussion

Mini split installation location

Reaching out to the experts today to ask about location of installation of a mini split.  I'm a…See More
22 hours ago
David Butler replied to Beverly Lerch's discussion Mini split air conditioners and ceiling fans
"Among the various opinions expressed here, I offer a few 'truths'... Ceiling fans are…"
23 hours ago
Walter Ahlgrim replied to Beverly Lerch's discussion Mini split air conditioners and ceiling fans
"This is one of thouse topic where you ask 10 people and get 12 different opinions. I will give you…"
yesterday
Brett Little's event was featured
Thumbnail

Full Circle Urban Forestry: Introducing Urban Wood Opportunities - Free CE Webinar at Webinar Online

October 17, 2018 from 12pm to 1:15pm
Many common urban tree removal practices in the United States view felled urban trees as costly…See More
yesterday
Beverly Lerch replied to Beverly Lerch's discussion Mini split air conditioners and ceiling fans
"Now I am confused.  Everyone has a different opinion.  "
yesterday
Joseph Novella replied to Beverly Lerch's discussion Mini split air conditioners and ceiling fans
"Don't use the fans! They generate heat and mix the stratified high warm air with the low cool…"
yesterday
John White replied to Beverly Lerch's discussion Mini split air conditioners and ceiling fans
"If you are using air conditioning, a ceiling fan will allow you to raise the thermostat setting…"
yesterday
John White posted a blog post
yesterday
Profile IconDana Launius and Susan Dee Cummins joined Home Energy Pros Forum
yesterday
Linda Wigington liked Don Fugler's discussion Depressurization/make-up air issues
Sunday
Profile IconCourteney Hazard, Erin Kelly, Megan Bailey and 3 more joined Home Energy Pros Forum
Friday
Kent Browning replied to Julie Saporito's discussion Tankless water heating and existing gas lines
"First the problems - increased CO due to poor combustion, flue condensation delayed ignition, etc.…"
Friday
Brett Little posted an event
Thumbnail

Full Circle Urban Forestry: Introducing Urban Wood Opportunities - Free CE Webinar at Webinar Online

October 17, 2018 from 12pm to 1:15pm
Many common urban tree removal practices in the United States view felled urban trees as costly…See More
Friday
Hannah Finch's blog post was featured

Announcing National Energy Geek Day [October 6]

If you know anything about EnergyLogic, you are probably aware that we are fun loving and…See More
Friday
John White commented on Corbett Lunsford's video
Thumbnail

5 Types of Ventilation for Controlling Your HOMEChem

"Ventilation is one of the single most important element of an HVAC system. It is generally used to…"
Friday
Profile IconDevin Cecere, John Cooper, Beth Burrell and 1 more joined Home Energy Pros Forum
Thursday
Brett Little commented on Jim Gunshinan's blog post More "Buzz" from ACEEE Summer Study—Builder-Installed Electric Loads
"Ive got one of those stupid street lights! When I bought the house I was like how do you shut…"
Thursday

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2018   Created by Home Performance Coalition (HPC)   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service