A question came up on exhaust duct connections. I have always considered screws necessary for mechanical fastening of one duct to another. I have been reminded recently that screws impede airflow and catch particles and fibers, all of which is probably true. My source then said that, in their opinion, all ducts should be joined solely by either tape or mastic, or a combination of the two. Is this common practice? Does this increase the time of installation? Does it hold up over time, especially in horizontal runs?

I would appreciate any advice you have.

Views: 210

Replies to This Discussion

I often suggest pop-rivets as an alternative to sheet metal screws for both clothes dryer duct work and for gutters and downspouts, for similar reasons.  The obvious downsides include the need to drill a hole in addition to installing a fastener (slower installation and additional tools), and more difficult disassembly (pop-rivets must be drilled out).  It is good news IMHO that the codes require metal duct work and prohibit the use of screws.  Thanks for that research David.

one maker of duct fans kits puts in #6X 3/8" with 1/4" hex head metal screws.  If you over crimp the 4" pipe will not start the 3/8" long screw.  google" How to prevent fires in  clothes dryers"  I have seen 20+ fires from dryers in 45 yr.  they flash fire with extra air.  Dryer vent need to be cleaned each 6 mo - so how are you going to take it apart to clean?

www.consumerreports.org/clothes-dryer/how-to-prevent-dryer-fires/

www.electrical-forensics.com/Dryer/ElectricClothesDryers

See my reply to Don Fugler earlier. Dryer ducts can usually be cleaned effectivly with a shop-vac and the right connector. The difficulty is getting access to the duct. This is why we recommend this product http://www.fantech.net/enca/home/Products/fans--accessories/accesso... mostly because it gives a good access point for cleaning the duct.

I hear what you are all saying about dryer vents, and how screws there should be avoided (as long as there is some way to clean the duct). Let's move the discussion to kitchen exhaust fan vents. What I gather from this conversation is that the best method would be to pop rivet the sections together, even though this is not a common practice. Then you get the benefits of mechanical fastening without the penetration of screws. I presume that there would have to be screws at some disassembly point for cleaning, unless there is a proprietary duct joining system that works with the lengths being fastened. 

Comments?

The best connector would be what is called generically a "Draw-Band". The Hart & Cooley Catalogue calls theirs the "QC" and it is shown on page 12 of their accessory catalogue (attached). Fantech also has these. These are fairly easy to make up for a sheet metal worker so that is why they are not so popular as purchased items. We use them when we need to get access to a certain component or into a duct easily in the future. An easy way to make them up is to get a length or round duct one or two sizes larger than the one you want to join, cut off a 4" strip, cut-off the snap-lock, wrap the piece you just made around the joint and secure with two suitably sized gear-clamps. We used them at the CCHT when we were installed flow-stations in all of the branch ducts for the zoned HVAC study.

Attachments:

I agree with Dara's approach, I haven't used the Hart and Cooley QC clamp, nor have I fabricated my own, but I have had success with the Fantech FC Series Clamps.     

The Fantech clamps have the advantage of a rubber liner that also dampens vibration and noise.

I use 5" worm gear clamps  for 4" steel pipe takes a 5/16 nut driver, very easy to clean.  I use a long sweep 4"  28 gage elbow and and use tin snips cut back 3/4'  6 lines then clamp between dryer and  pipe so its easy to clean.

You guys have been really helpful. One more question if you have the time ...

If you are hanging horizontal (mostly horizontal) metal exhaust duct runs, is there a specification for the number or location of duct hangers?

Thanks.

That would be in the SMACNA installation standards, but I will not be in the office until Monday & I do not have an E-copy that I can access.

RSS

Discussion Forum

Manual S for Water Furnace Equipment

Started by Jeremy Begley. Last reply by Danny Gough Mar 23. 6 Replies

joining ducts

Started by Don Fugler. Last reply by Dara Bowser Nov 28, 2017. 21 Replies

HVAC integration – the past, the present, and the future

Started by Igor Mitbarg. Last reply by Lucifer Prescott Apr 11, 2017. 1 Reply

Latest Activity

Sean Wiens posted a discussion

Outdoor Reset

Can some of you weigh in on what you feel is the best wired outdoor reset and why?  I am currently…See More
4 hours ago
Tom Phillips replied to Don Fugler's discussion Choosing a range hood in the group Kitchen Ventilation
"thx Don! re: Capture Efficiency, the ROÇIS Kitchen Range Hood document addresses what hood…"
8 hours ago
Dara Bowser joined Don Fugler's group
Thumbnail

Kitchen Ventilation

In many homes, cooking is the largest indoor source of air pollutants. Exposures can be higher in…See More
8 hours ago
Dara Bowser liked Don Fugler's discussion Choosing a range hood
9 hours ago
Profile IconChris Hawkins and Drew Brauer joined Home Energy Pros Forum
yesterday
Profile IconLauren Asplen and Danny Gough joined Bob Krell's group
Thumbnail

Healthy Indoors (IAQ)

The Healthy Indoors group is focused on indoor air quality (IAQ), mold, moisture control, radon,…See More
yesterday
Franco Oyuela commented on John White's blog post What to Expect from a New HVAC Unit Installation Cost
"Is strongly advise against attempting to install any complex home comfort equipment on your own.…"
yesterday
CEE posted a blog post
yesterday
Lindsay Bachman liked David Keefe's video
yesterday
Julie Saporito's blog post was featured
yesterday
John C. Semmelhack liked Diane Chojnowski's discussion Everything you need to know about California's new solar roof mandate
yesterday
Profile IconJohn Walter and Eric Rabesa joined Home Energy Pros Forum
Thursday
William Collins posted a video

The Foam Sealants Kit " Bead or Spray"

Now you can apply foam sealant as a " bead " or a " spray " with the Foam Sealants Kit. When using a 16lb Canister of Black Sealant you can easily go from us...
Thursday
Profile IconSean Wiens and Armando Cobo joined Don Fugler's group
Thumbnail

Kitchen Ventilation

In many homes, cooking is the largest indoor source of air pollutants. Exposures can be higher in…See More
Thursday
Julie Saporito posted a blog post
Thursday
Brennan Less replied to Linda Wigington's discussion Good Eating with Reduced Cooking Emissions in the group Kitchen Ventilation
"Cook outside, as much as you can, and close your doors/windows while you do it ;) "
Thursday
Ethan Foley joined Bob Krell's group
Thumbnail

Healthy Indoors (IAQ)

The Healthy Indoors group is focused on indoor air quality (IAQ), mold, moisture control, radon,…See More
Thursday
Shane S posted a photo
Thursday
Al Tibbs posted photos
Wednesday
Al Tibbs commented on Eric Aune's photo
Thumbnail

IMG00173-20100805-1030

"Always remind customer to make sure to mark out location of piping before covering!! The infrared…"
Wednesday

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2018   Created by Home Performance Coalition (HPC)   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service