Hi again,

This is a great place to learn, thank you all that have answered my questions. Here is the next one. I just completed an audit and they only have a heater that is ducted because they are in a beach community. It was very leaky, but leaky compared to what??? I have read through my BPI and can't find some kind of multiplier for heater duct leakage

Judi

Views: 47

Replies to This Discussion

Duct leakage is leakage. I always apply the 6 cfm per 100 sqft energy star leakage standard for the ducts that I work with. The main difference in heating and cooling is in expected air flow of the two system types which vary.

21.7 times the OUTPUT btu= cfm for heat  Example: 100,000 btu furnace input   80,000 btu furnace output. 80% efficient.

21.7 X 80=1736 cfm supply for heat. You have to go outside BPI for these formula's. Try national comfort institute. The 80 comes from dropping the zero's  from 80,000 btu

thank you both, ahhh I forgot my HERS stuff. Yes, when I saw 21.7 I remembered HERS. See somtimes a little nudge is all we need. I guess I couldn't think of putting HERS and BPI together. Thanks much appreciated.

Judi

RSS

Discussion Forum

BPI is Hiring!

Started by Quinn Korzeniecki. Last reply by Diane Chojnowski Jun 29. 1 Reply

Latest Activity

tedkidd replied to Bob Blanchette's discussion Tankless Water Heaters... has their time finally come?
"Yeah. Gas water…"
13 hours ago
Eric Kjelshus replied to Bob Blanchette's discussion Tankless Water Heaters... has their time finally come?
"With super cheap natural gas prices now, still worth going all electric?  Tankless needs a lot…"
14 hours ago
Stuart Langley liked Chris Clay's photo
19 hours ago
David Butler replied to David Butler's discussion How would you insulate this roof?
"Stuart, I wasn't considering the copula windows... yes, those would indeed need to be…"
20 hours ago
Stuart Langley replied to David Butler's discussion How would you insulate this roof?
"Well, @David Butler, you have seen the property more accurately than I have, but my impression of…"
20 hours ago
David Butler replied to David Butler's discussion How would you insulate this roof?
"@ Stuart,I don't think there's any concern about impact of 4" build-up on elevation…"
21 hours ago
Stuart Langley replied to David Butler's discussion How would you insulate this roof?
"So this building has a few issues with air leaks and air leaks have so much to do with discomfort…"
22 hours ago
"John Hatfield has the right idea here for a new roof deck. Polyiso boards always need a good stout…"
22 hours ago

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2017   Created by Home Performance Coalition (HPC)   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service