Just curious - what Blower Door do you use, what tests do you do, and do you use software or not?

For example it is a mixed bag here as some jurisdictions want a multi-point test while others accept a single point. Some may require just a picture or signed document, while others want a full TECTITE report (real fun for us using Retrotec...)

So mine is Retrotec with the plastic panel system - RESNET unadjusted single & multi using TECTITE (how I do it - single point test, multi-point test)

Views: 391

Replies to This Discussion

I use Energy Conservatory Equipment.  I do manual Multi-point tests (95%) Then I manually input them into Tectitle.  I usually do a RESNET standard test.   On existing, I get some Can't Reach Fifty homes.  So I hope to get 2 or 3 points. The textile will calculate the slope of the line.  Rick Karg's ResVent app uses the slope of the line in calculating the ASHRAE 62.2. recommendation.

The slope should be between .55 and.75  to have a valid test.  lower slopes indicate fewer large holes, steeper slopes indicate more small narrow holes.  I have no jurisdictions with an Energy Code in place.

Thanks - learn something new everyday (the slope)

Sean,

for reasons too long to explain I own both Minneapolis blower door (with Tecnite) that Retrotec Q1000 (with FanTestic).

With FanTesting it'spossibile to choose for a standard (for example EN 13829, I'm italian so i muest us this standard) and setting the test for multi-point automatic test. I believe you can choose ASTM and do the same. Both Retrotec's hardware that software run good for EN standard. I think the same can be done for ASTM. try to see the "setting" window.

Thanks & LOL I can only imagine why you have to use both. I actually have not used Retrotec's Fantestic as I don't think it was out when I got my unit & some of the programs around here require the TecTite reports. I am going to have to grab that software & check it out one day especially as TecTite doesn't have those others tests & the 2015 code states ASTM protocols should be used.

Hi Sean, I have a question for you.  If you were only interested in providing the best audit you could for a reasonable time on the job, what BD tests would you run.  If your testing would be less without all of the requirements, then what is the added cost to the home owner?

Bud

Hmmm good question - personally for air-leakage I would go with multi-point, preferably run from software, it will get you the most repeatable number. With that I think almost any standard or test version is good assuming you take outside conditions in mind (longer time averaging, elevation, temperature)

I don't much care for zone diagnostics, so I stick with infrared and the only other one is targeted air-sealing with the blower door running. Costs for that vary based on the size, time that will be required, etc... but the total leakage & infrared scan is already in my price for audits. For code testing the infrared isn't included and I would bill that out at my hourly rate (minimum 1 hour) 

A multi-point will take longer, but what will it do for the home owner?  Will it change the work scope?  Will it improve the final results?

IMO, some zone pressure testing would be far more valuable.  Probe a wall and it can tell you how good the outside air barrier is compared to the inside, a factor I don't see the software accounting for.   But I don't use software so maybe they do.  Isolating rooms or sections of the house breaks down the total leakage into different areas.  Just attic and basement can tell you a lot.

I agree IR searching while the house is either pressurized or depressurized is very valuable, and worth lots of extra time, but I often benefit from lots of good Δ t.  But I also agree that the extra time needs to be accounted for, one of my weak spots.

It has really bothered me from the beginning that so much time and money has been targeted towards a perfect score and I ask for whom is it needed?  If that money had been put towards just improving homes we would be way ahead of where we are.  But that is another thread.

Bud

Different houses, different problems, different approaches.

A multipoint gives you a slope. The slope tells you about the holes and sizes.  Knowing about the size of the holes tells you something about where they might be. The slope helps with sizing MV.  I set up and run a Single Point test and tear down in 20 minutes.  It takes me 25 to run a multi-point. Not enough difference to worry about.  AND my customers like the graph that results. They understand linearity. See also my comments earlier that didn't get sent before church.

Bud,  I pretty much agree with Sean's points.  Given the time it takes to set up the BD,  running a multi-point is nothing.  The IR work and using the standards emphasizing the points he made are important.  Also they make documentation easier.

The only time I use ZPDs is older leaky homes, think Ballon Framed, to focus work in areas.  Much of my reporting is done to DIY folk.  So when I expect and get a Can't Reach Fifty result or an ACH @ 50 of over 12 I will do some basic stuff with ZPD.  Tell them to do the work here or there, then call me back for another run of the Blower Door. Usually in those cases, the biometrics will tell you as you walk the home.  Opening and closing manual dampers is one key piece.

For those of you who need  a Tectite report, FanTestic's report Generator is powerful enough to create a report that emulates any report out there. We can put your logo, your picture and even pictures of the test house into the report. 

Could blend in IR reports easily also.

Let me know how important having a TecTite report is although i must say I am stunned that any public body would require a report from only one manufacturer.  

RSS

Discussion Forum

Water Saver or Gimmick?

Started by Sean Lintow Sr. Last reply by Keith Tripp yesterday. 23 Replies

Moisture/Mold on rim joist

Started by John Shillito. Last reply by Bob Krell Oct 12. 11 Replies

Radon - Passive Systems

Started by Sean Lintow Sr. Last reply by Bryan Gabriel Jan 5. 5 Replies

Vented Soffit! DO or DON'T?

Started by Daniel Baur-McGuire. Last reply by Daniel Baur-McGuire Nov 15, 2016. 13 Replies

Duct Testing - is a change in order?

Started by Sean Lintow Sr. Last reply by Sean Lintow Sr Aug 6, 2015. 20 Replies

Latest Activity

tedkidd replied to Bob Blanchette's discussion Tankless Water Heaters... has their time finally come?
"Yeah. Gas water…"
23 hours ago
Eric Kjelshus replied to Bob Blanchette's discussion Tankless Water Heaters... has their time finally come?
"With super cheap natural gas prices now, still worth going all electric?  Tankless needs a lot…"
yesterday
Stuart Langley liked Chris Clay's photo
yesterday
David Butler replied to David Butler's discussion How would you insulate this roof?
"Stuart, I wasn't considering the copula windows... yes, those would indeed need to be…"
yesterday
Stuart Langley replied to David Butler's discussion How would you insulate this roof?
"Well, @David Butler, you have seen the property more accurately than I have, but my impression of…"
yesterday
David Butler replied to David Butler's discussion How would you insulate this roof?
"@ Stuart,I don't think there's any concern about impact of 4" build-up on elevation…"
yesterday
Stuart Langley replied to David Butler's discussion How would you insulate this roof?
"So this building has a few issues with air leaks and air leaks have so much to do with discomfort…"
yesterday
"John Hatfield has the right idea here for a new roof deck. Polyiso boards always need a good stout…"
yesterday

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2017   Created by Home Performance Coalition (HPC)   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service