Congrats Ceniceros Household! 26th Project to Officially Meet 1000 Home Challenge

52%, 55%, and 78% reductions - check out the numbers in the attached two slides!

10 years ago, significant efforts to reduce energy use (kWh and kW) began with a comprehensive energy upgrade. This included addressing insulation defects, additional air and duct sealing, replacing the heating system and AC system, and the addition of efficient appliances.

Bruce and Andrea Ceniceros, and their children, Annika and Kira have all been part of the team effort to manage their energy use in their Sacramento, CA home. In early 2014 two steps, the addition of 3.1 kW PV array and replacing the home's natural gas water heater with a heat pump water heater, contributed to surpassing the home's customized 1000 Home Challenge OPTION B threshold several months sooner than expected. 

Tags: 1000 Home Challenge, California, HPWH, NightBreeze thermostat, PV, deep reduction, energy upgrade, peak reduction, staged reduction

Views: 373

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Congratulations Bruce - what an impressive effort.  A 62% reduction in gas, and 100% reduction in electric by my calculations.

Love that the whole family was involved!  Very curious how the kids contributed.

I wanted to clarify the difference between the 2014 bar and the THC Option B.  I think that the Option B indicates the goal (7765 kWh) to reach the Thousand Home Challenge, whereas the 2014 bar indicates what Bruce and family actually did - a total of 7378 KWh, offsetting all the electrical and some of the gas with the PV and the heat pump water heater.  I'm curious how you sized your PV, Bruce, as it looks like you've covered more than electrical and are offsetting some of your gas. 

Nickie

Nickie:  I estimate that 15% or more of our energy savings is behavioral, which could not have been achieved without cooperation and buy-in from the whole family. Interestingly, a conversation we had around the dinner table about what it would take to meet the THC goals was the most motivating of anything. The kids really rallied and were great at turning off lights, shortening showers, and other things.

I sized the PV system to achieve net zero electricity including the new heat pump water heater load, but had to make that decision before the WH was installed. It turned out to use much less than I expected, so now we over-generate by around 1,000 kWh/year. We'll just have to buy an EV now!

Yes, Bruce, I think that deciding what you will do to conserve yourself, rather than being told (or nagged) makes a huge difference - so I'm not surprised to hear that your table conversation was very motivating.  Now if the kids get involved in some energy conservation school programs they may even make it through those dreaded long-shower teenage years!

Here is the energy use over time. The last bar is their 1000 Home Challenge threshold, which they met - coming in under the threshold by nearly 400 kWh. 

Congrats, Bruce!! Very impressive indeed -- and inspiring! I'm overdue to check where we are, but I'm sure we still have a long way to go. Finally got the attic insulated, though, which was one of the last major to-do items to house. Plenty of opportunity still with behavior ...

How old are your kids? Mine (15-1/2) seems to spend half of his waking, at-home hours in the tub and/or shower. :(

Thanks for the congrats, Ann. We are thrilled to have reached the goal, thanks to the motivation of participating in the Thousand Home Challenge.

My two daughters are 8 and 11 and still protest about having to bath. Talk to me when they are both teenagers--their usage will certainly be considerably different, even if the conservation behavior sticks. :)

Congrats Bruce and family! Welcome to the club! 

Wow, Bruce!  The 79% overall reduction is truly impressive, especially since you have children.  I think natural gas reduction is the hardest; everyone loves hot water, and if you have a gas stove, you have no choice for cooking, other than microwaving everything. The heat pump water heater seems to have made a big difference.

Behavioural changes are hard with children as well, but so far they must be cooperating -- I have dogs, who also hate bathing, but I'm more or less in control of that.  It's washing all the bedding that adds up! 

This is a great example showing what changing a single appliance can do to reduce natural gas use.  Thanks; this is motivating me to change out my lovely, but not so efficient water heater.

Kudos Bruce & family for achieving such exemplary energy use. Are your SMUD colleagues sufficiently impressed?! I'm interested in your heat pump water heater, as water heating (with a natural draft gas storage WH in the center of the house) is our biggest load. Is yours located in the living space, and if so, how well does that work - noise-wise and cooling-wise?

Keep up the good workJudy

Yes, Bruce, please answer the noise question.  I hadn't considered that, and it could be a deal-breaker, since ours is also located in the center of our house.  Did you also have to run a separate circuit (20 AMP?) from your breaker box?  These are the costs that really add to any fuel switching project.  Thanks!

Alice, a 30 amp breaker on a seperate 220 volt circuit was required. Fortunately, a previous owner had put in a 220 wiring for a spa with an electrical junction box right at the location of the water heater, so all the installing contractor had to do was pop in the higher amp breaker.
Our Vaughn HPWH is located in the garage, where the cooling is welcome in the summer when it would otherwise get pretty hot in there. It doesn't seem to make the garage more than a couple of degrees colder in the winter (still stays at 60 degrees or above).

The compressor and fan can be heard in the house only when the house is quiet--mainly in the bedroom above the garage, where a low level hum seems to conduct through the wall to which the water heater is earthquake-strapped. Overall, it is considerably quieter than an air conditioner, but I would not find the noise level acceptable if the WH were located in the house. My wife says she would not find the noise level acceptable if she had to sleep on the room over the garage herself, although my daughter has never complained. Maybe other models are quieter?

RSS

Latest Activity

tedkidd replied to Bob Blanchette's discussion Tankless Water Heaters... has their time finally come?
"Yeah. Gas water…"
yesterday
Eric Kjelshus replied to Bob Blanchette's discussion Tankless Water Heaters... has their time finally come?
"With super cheap natural gas prices now, still worth going all electric?  Tankless needs a lot…"
yesterday
Stuart Langley liked Chris Clay's photo
yesterday
David Butler replied to David Butler's discussion How would you insulate this roof?
"Stuart, I wasn't considering the copula windows... yes, those would indeed need to be…"
yesterday
Stuart Langley replied to David Butler's discussion How would you insulate this roof?
"Well, @David Butler, you have seen the property more accurately than I have, but my impression of…"
yesterday
David Butler replied to David Butler's discussion How would you insulate this roof?
"@ Stuart,I don't think there's any concern about impact of 4" build-up on elevation…"
yesterday
Stuart Langley replied to David Butler's discussion How would you insulate this roof?
"So this building has a few issues with air leaks and air leaks have so much to do with discomfort…"
yesterday
"John Hatfield has the right idea here for a new roof deck. Polyiso boards always need a good stout…"
yesterday

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2017   Created by Home Performance Coalition (HPC)   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service