We're moving our office space and doing a lot of the build-out ourselves.  In our HVAC overhaul, we need to replace the manual thermostat with a setback model.  So I bought a Nest b/c I read about it, and it sounded great.  That, and it looks cool.

Our HVAC guy ripped it, though.  'Said that they don't work, they don't really do what they're supposed to do, 'worthless, and the company that makes them is being sued.

'Haven't done a lick of checking on any of this, but I wanted to touch base with this knowledgeable group first.  Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about the Nest they can share?

TIA.

Melissa

Views: 30259

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A friend showed me an interesting site that describes what is inside the Nest thermost.  Peak inside the Nest.

The Nest seems to have decent internals, now if they could only get the software finished.

Nest Thermostats are designed to teach you and your home. They will learn to keep you comfortable when you're home and save energy while you're gone. Here are some tips to help your thermostat save energy in your home. There are many ways to help save energy and reduce your usage bill. Here are some steps you can take to reduce energy consumption.

• Teach your Nest thermostat

• Set your Eco Temperatures thoughtfully

• Look for the Nest Leaf

• Try an easy 1°F change in your schedule

• Set your thermostat to Eco Temperatures if you’re going on vacation

• Avoid cranking the heat or AC

• Use Time-to-Temperature as a guide

• Check your Energy History

• Use two or more thermostats the right way.

These above things help you to save energy and reduces your energy bills while using nest thermostats and if you want to know more about the thermostat then contact to the experts at White Mechanical, Inc. a residential HVAC services to get all your answers.

Installed one in my own home about six months ago and it's been doing great. I like that it has an occupancy sensor and will set everything back (not come on) if it doesn't detect anybody in the room, which is good for my weird schedule. Seems to be learning our evening / morning habits and I like that you can quickly override the present program settings and put it into "eco" mode which has more extreme hi/lo settings. I do that when the temps outside swing quickly and the house has not responded yet - an outside temp sensor might be the way to go with this but I have not investigated that yet.

Are you talking about Nest Learning Thermostat Gen 3? If the answer is Yes.

I highly recommend Nest Thermostat! The Nest thermostat supports manual scheduling in increments as small as 15 minutes, but it really shines when you let it handle the scheduling for you.

Simply adjust the temperature manually for the first few days following installation and the Nest will do the rest. By combining your preferred temperatures with data about how long it takes to heat and cool your house, the Nest thermostat will save on energy without sacrificing comfort.

Hi everyone,

While the Nest aesthetics are great, I'm highly skeptical of claims around energy efficiency. It's been a while since I checked, but in the publicly available studies with which I'm familiar, there appeared to be some basic empirical problems (ex. the intervention vs controls don't appear to be randomized.)

A greater problem is that the company appears to be performing studies in collaboration with utilities in which they control all of the data and its release. This is akin to holding a coin-tossing competition in which I call heads, then get to retroactively select 5/10 coin tosses. If Nest were serious about rigor, it would have publicly stated its intent to perform this research and released study design for each market it studied. While this may sound esoteric, but the same problem exists in pharmaceutical trials, and to some extent is being addressed by AllTrials. See http://www.alltrials.net/

It is not true. Maybe the installation was wrong. because In my experience, they are great thermostats!

RSS

Forum Discussions

Check out the new Home Diagnosis TV Series on Public TV

Started by Diane Chojnowski in General Forum. Last reply by Daniel Baur-McGuire yesterday. 1 Reply

Energy OutWest 2020

Started by Diane Deyerler in General Forum. Last reply by Diane Chojnowski yesterday. 1 Reply

New(ish) ZNE publications available

Started by Ann Edminster in General Forum. Last reply by Jacob Corvidae on Thursday. 1 Reply

ACEEE State Energy Efficiency Score Card

Started by Diane Chojnowski in General Forum on Wednesday. 0 Replies

Latest Activity

Christian F is now a member of Home Energy Pros Forum
4 hours ago
Daniel Baur-McGuire replied to Diane Chojnowski's discussion Check out the new Home Diagnosis TV Series on Public TV
"I've been waiting for this show to release! Corbett always is worth a watch. Check out his…"
yesterday
Profile IconMaria M Hernandez and Robert Corbyn joined Home Energy Pros Forum
yesterday
Diane Chojnowski posted a discussion

Home Diagnosis Episode 2: Environmental Sensitivity and Healthy Homes

Check this out! You can watch Episode 2 of Home Diagnosis on PBS or on YouTube.Episode 2 visits a…See More
yesterday
Diane Chojnowski replied to Diane Deyerler's discussion Energy OutWest 2020
"Hi Diane, This looks like a great event! Please post it on our event calendar and we'll share…"
yesterday
Robert Corbyn posted photos
yesterday
Milli Cater commented on Crosbey Archery's blog post Setting up Your HVAC for Fall Maintenance
"Life means many things, but besides taking care of your family, home and working, you should take…"
yesterday
Coby Rudolph commented on Jim Gunshinan's blog post What Are the Nation's Best Utility Energy Efficiency Programs?
"Interesting. Something needs to change when 30% of the exemplary programs (16 out of 53) saw…"
Thursday

© 2019   Created by Home Performance Coalition (HPC)   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service