Technical question about mini split heat pump line set maximum length

Hello!

I'm installing a two-zone Mitsubishi mini split (in Pasadena, CA area, 1400 sf, single family detached, one-story home, if context is relevant). This is my first install, and I am trying to determine if extra refrigerant needs to be added based on the line set distance to each of the two indoor units. The outdoor unit is factory charged with R410A.

Outdoor Unit - MXZ-2C20NAHZ2

Indoor Unit 1 - PEAD-A12 (pipe length distance from outdoor unit: ~25 feet)

Indoor Unit 2 - MSZ-FH12NA (pipe length distance from outdoor unit: ~40 feet)

The manual (attached image) for the outdoor unit (MXZ-2C20NAHZ2) says "Max. pipe length per indoor unit for multi system" is 82 ft, and that refrigerant adjustment for longer lengths is 1.08 oz/5 ft. The manual for indoor unit 1 says maximum pipe length is 23 feet (before additional refrigerant is required). The manual for indoor unit 2 says maximum pipe length is 25 feet (before additional refrigerant is required). So...I'm trying to determine which number is applicable -- 82, 23, or 25? Does the system need additional charge?

I'll contact the manufacturer as well, but I thought I'd ask here in case anyone has installed one of these systems and already determined the answer to this question. Thanks for your help.

Views: 328

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Chris!

I just happened to come across your question after I posted my most recent blog - Mitsubishi Ductless happens to be my specialty (and full-time job)!

That condenser is pre-charged for 98' of pipe.

Each zone can be a max 82' from the condenser.

Total pipe length would be 164' (82 x 2).

I think the confusion regarding the 23/25 comes in if you are installing these as single zone systems...always check the install manual for the condenser on mylinkdrive.com : http://meus1.mylinkdrive.com/item/MXZ-2C20NAHZ2-U1.html

Hope you have a successful install, and a Happy New Year!

Chris

Chris,

A million thanks! This is very helpful; thank you for sharing your expertise. I can post an update once I'm further along. I am tempted to ask more questions but will not abuse your generosity. :) Happy New Year to you as well!

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks again for your help. Update: the system is now up and running.

Chris

RSS

Forum Discussions

Outdoor Reset

Started by Sean Wiens in HVAC 21 hours ago. 0 Replies

Best Energy Myths

Started by Silas Inman in Best Practices. Last reply by Liam Smith on Wednesday. 45 Replies

HERS score with HRV

Started by Gary Hall in General Forum. Last reply by John C. Semmelhack May 19. 4 Replies

Latest Activity

Sean Wiens posted a discussion

Outdoor Reset

Can some of you weigh in on what you feel is the best wired outdoor reset and why?  I am currently…See More
21 hours ago
Tom Phillips replied to Don Fugler's discussion Choosing a range hood in the group Kitchen Ventilation
"thx Don! re: Capture Efficiency, the ROÇIS Kitchen Range Hood document addresses what hood…"
yesterday
Dara Bowser joined Don Fugler's group
Thumbnail

Kitchen Ventilation

In many homes, cooking is the largest indoor source of air pollutants. Exposures can be higher in…See More
yesterday
Dara Bowser liked Don Fugler's discussion Choosing a range hood
yesterday
Profile IconChris Hawkins and Drew Brauer joined Home Energy Pros Forum
Saturday
Profile IconLauren Asplen and Danny Gough joined Bob Krell's group
Thumbnail

Healthy Indoors (IAQ)

The Healthy Indoors group is focused on indoor air quality (IAQ), mold, moisture control, radon,…See More
Friday
Franco Oyuela commented on John White's blog post What to Expect from a New HVAC Unit Installation Cost
"Is strongly advise against attempting to install any complex home comfort equipment on your own.…"
Friday
CEE posted a blog post
Friday
Lindsay Bachman liked David Keefe's video
Friday
Julie Saporito's blog post was featured
Friday
John C. Semmelhack liked Diane Chojnowski's discussion Everything you need to know about California's new solar roof mandate
Friday
Profile IconJohn Walter and Eric Rabesa joined Home Energy Pros Forum
Thursday
William Collins posted a video

The Foam Sealants Kit " Bead or Spray"

Now you can apply foam sealant as a " bead " or a " spray " with the Foam Sealants Kit. When using a 16lb Canister of Black Sealant you can easily go from us...
Thursday
Profile IconSean Wiens and Armando Cobo joined Don Fugler's group
Thumbnail

Kitchen Ventilation

In many homes, cooking is the largest indoor source of air pollutants. Exposures can be higher in…See More
Thursday
Julie Saporito posted a blog post
Thursday
Brennan Less replied to Linda Wigington's discussion Good Eating with Reduced Cooking Emissions in the group Kitchen Ventilation
"Cook outside, as much as you can, and close your doors/windows while you do it ;) "
Thursday
Ethan Foley joined Bob Krell's group
Thumbnail

Healthy Indoors (IAQ)

The Healthy Indoors group is focused on indoor air quality (IAQ), mold, moisture control, radon,…See More
Thursday
Shane S posted a photo
Thursday
Al Tibbs posted photos
Wednesday
Al Tibbs commented on Eric Aune's photo
Thumbnail

IMG00173-20100805-1030

"Always remind customer to make sure to mark out location of piping before covering!! The infrared…"
Wednesday

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2018   Created by Home Performance Coalition (HPC)   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service