There is a tax credit available to homeowners who have walls insulated. The credits were continued last year in a budget deal to cover tax year 2014 and the amount is 10% of the cost of materials up to $500. Only the material costs count, not the labor. There are other credits for residential solar electric, solar hot water, geothermal heat pumps, a small wind energy system, and fuel cells, but I can’t find anything more for improving the homes building envelope. You can find out the details by downloading the proper form, IRS Form 5695, and instructions here.

You can only accumulate $500 worth of credits from 2005 through 2014. I have to dig into my records to find out how much of a credit we got in 2007 for adding insulation to our attic and subtract that from the maximum $500 credit. I am waiting for an itemized breakdown of our Energy Upgrade California retrofit work, including the cost of the cellulose insulation blown into our walls.

I’m afraid after all this there won’t be much of a credit.

I’m wondering though if any of you Home Energy Pros members and readers are trying for this credit themselves or are helping their clients get credit for energy upgrades. It was hard to find the right information and it seems like this is a tax credit that has been hidden from public view. Or it’s just too cumbersome and doesn’t offer much.

Anybody out there have any experience with the 2014 Residential Energy Credits?

Views: 82

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well if I had to guess your credit will be 0 as it used to be up to $1500 & wasn't as hard to get back then - http://thehtrc.com/2009/october-national-energy-awareness-month which quite a lot of people took - new windows, HVAC, etc...

I know many have still talked it up (mainly window guys) but that stopped when it did expire (the first or was that second time?). It is always worth mentioning as a possibility, but if you do that, make sure you break down your billing to show the information they need.

RSS

Latest Activity

Profile IconLauren Asplen and Danny Gough joined Bob Krell's group
Thumbnail

Healthy Indoors (IAQ)

The Healthy Indoors group is focused on indoor air quality (IAQ), mold, moisture control, radon,…See More
6 hours ago
Franco Oyuela commented on John White's blog post What to Expect from a New HVAC Unit Installation Cost
"Is strongly advise against attempting to install any complex home comfort equipment on your own.…"
7 hours ago
CEE posted a blog post
8 hours ago
Lindsay Bachman liked David Keefe's video
8 hours ago
Julie Saporito's blog post was featured
9 hours ago
John C. Semmelhack liked Diane Chojnowski's discussion Everything you need to know about California's new solar roof mandate
10 hours ago
Profile IconJohn Walter and Eric Rabesa joined Home Energy Pros Forum
23 hours ago
William Collins posted a video

The Foam Sealants Kit " Bead or Spray"

Now you can apply foam sealant as a " bead " or a " spray " with the Foam Sealants Kit. When using a 16lb Canister of Black Sealant you can easily go from us...
yesterday
Profile IconSean Wiens and Armando Cobo joined Don Fugler's group
Thumbnail

Kitchen Ventilation

In many homes, cooking is the largest indoor source of air pollutants. Exposures can be higher in…See More
yesterday
Julie Saporito posted a blog post
yesterday
Brennan Less replied to Linda Wigington's discussion Good Eating with Reduced Cooking Emissions in the group Kitchen Ventilation
"Cook outside, as much as you can, and close your doors/windows while you do it ;) "
yesterday
Ethan Foley joined Bob Krell's group
Thumbnail

Healthy Indoors (IAQ)

The Healthy Indoors group is focused on indoor air quality (IAQ), mold, moisture control, radon,…See More
yesterday
Shane S posted a photo
yesterday
Al Tibbs posted photos
Wednesday
Al Tibbs commented on Eric Aune's photo
Thumbnail

IMG00173-20100805-1030

"Always remind customer to make sure to mark out location of piping before covering!! The infrared…"
Wednesday
Al Tibbs commented on Eric Aune's photo
Wednesday
Joe is now a member of Home Energy Pros Forum
Wednesday
Liam Smith replied to Silas Inman's discussion Best Energy Myths
"Yes incandescent bulb are very heat productive. Instead of that use LED bulb which are energy…"
Wednesday
Kelly Vaughn's blog post was featured

How Cities Can Ensure Better Rentals for Everyone

By Alisa PetersenWhile much of RMI’s research and analysis on home energy performance has focused…See More
Wednesday
Brett Little's event was featured

Resilient Design in an Age of Climate Change - Free CE Webinar at Webinar Online

May 30, 2018 from 12pm to 1:15pm
A changing climate, sea level rise, drought, and a wide range of stresses in the world are…See More
Wednesday

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2018   Created by Home Performance Coalition (HPC)   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service