Anybody else super frustrated by the retroactive implementation of the tax credit?

I have 2 big problems with this:

1)

Most all of the homes I rated last year did not pass the tax credit because I opted to not do the duct leakage to outside (LTO) test. The advice we had been given over a year ago was that it was very unlikely the tax credit would return in any form similar to what it had been, (so doing all the extra work doing the LTO would simply have been an unnecessary expense for builders already complaining about paying us to do what we do). And who would have thought otherwise, what with a complete upheaval of the political system? 

How can the people who decide such stuff expect businesses to plan ahead for this by doing this only retroactively? Is this going to happen again at the end of this year???

2)

Here in Wisconsin we can use the exemption for homes with all ducts inside to not do the LTO test but that exemption is not allowed for the tax credit so the home gets slapped with the 12% duct leakage penalty. Where does this penalty come from? I've asked many in the building science/Resnet world and can't find anyone who can tell me. I would like to see the science that justifies this penalty for homes with all ducts located inside the thermal envelope. (BTW, I totally see the sense in doing this test if any ducts are outside)

When you have homes that are regularly testing out at .2 cfm/ sq ft and below it's inconceivable that internal duct leakage could amount to more than a tiny fraction of total air leakage. Indeed, EVERY SINGLE LTO test I've done borders on not being able to get any reading at all.

Tags: Credit, LTO, Tax, test

Views: 92

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Although I'm not privy to the rationale for the 12% penalty (which almost certainly came from RESNET), I too think all those annual tax credit extenders, passed after-the-fact, is an example of politics at its worse. Rather than achieving their presumed purpose of stimulating something, they create a roulette wheel scenario for businesses who would be eligible.

Indeed, plus there is a provision that the contractor must have owned the lot then sold it along with the house to qualify. What's up with that? Definitely slanted towards the production builders/developers but in my experience it's the small builders (typically those that don't "develop") that should be rewarded for pushing the market forward as far as efficiency is concerned.

Did you do a regular duct test or none at all?  

As for tax credits - most of the time the builders one has been retroactively applied. most of us thought it was DOA due to incoming president and policies but alas...

I opted to not do duct testing as it's not required by our state program - unless any duct is outside of conditioned space when we will do the LTO test but not a total duct leakage test. 

Because of the advice we were getting that the credit was most likely not coming back I saw it as an undue cost on the builders. That, on top of the fact that I see it as a pointless test (see my original comment), I could not see charging builders for work they really didn't need.

This retroactive implementation of the credit is pure laziness on behalf of lawmakers and now has me in hot water with my builders for not doing the tests throughout last year.

RSS

Latest Activity

Chris Stratton commented on Jim Gunshinan's blog post Our First Year with Solar Panels, by Chris Stratton
"@ Jonathan 1. Cost of PV array was about $15k before 30% federal tax credit. 2. The financial…"
1 hour ago
Chris Stratton commented on Jim Gunshinan's blog post Our First Year with Solar Panels, by Chris Stratton
"@ Brennan Hey thanks! Yeah, it's time for an update on the energy consumption now that…"
1 hour ago
"@Grey re: estimated vs. actual production Good question! The estimated first-year annual production…"
1 hour ago
Diane Chojnowski's video was featured

People Who Save Energy 1: Builders

Millions of people work to save energy in the United States. They work in every state, across industries and technologies. To show the diverse arc of this growing workforce, we visited North Carolina. This video tells the stories of some of these…
3 hours ago
Jonathan Nadle commented on Jim Gunshinan's blog post Our First Year with Solar Panels, by Chris Stratton
"Hi Jim, Thanks for your well thought-out and written piece.  I agree with your comments on…"
20 hours ago
Leo Klisch commented on Jim Gunshinan's blog post Our First Year with Solar Panels, by Chris Stratton
"WOW! 913kwh/12= 76kwh/month. How is that possible? I live in central Minnesota and started with…"
20 hours ago
Leslie Jackson replied to Leslie Jackson's discussion DIY Filter Solution for an Evaporative Cooler, anyone?
"Thanks Rich, I hope they thought of that, but you are on to something. I think I learn more doing…"
23 hours ago
grey staples commented on Jim Gunshinan's blog post Our First Year with Solar Panels, by Chris Stratton
"Curious to know how the kWh production turned out relative to what the installer indicated you…"
yesterday
Brennan Less commented on Jim Gunshinan's blog post Our First Year with Solar Panels, by Chris Stratton
"Hey Chris, y'all are kicking butt!! I'm sure your new HVAC won't use any energy,…"
yesterday
Rich Manning replied to Leslie Jackson's discussion DIY Filter Solution for an Evaporative Cooler, anyone?
"Have them call a HVAC contractor and install a filter system"
yesterday
Rich Manning replied to Jerry Needham's discussion Condensation on ceiling and walls of master bedroom
"Looks like a leaking ridge vent"
yesterday
Jonathan Nadle liked Jim Gunshinan's blog post Our First Year with Solar Panels, by Chris Stratton
yesterday
Matt Peterson posted a blog post

Gas Line Installation In Portland OR Code Basics

When you're looking to undertake any kind of a remodel or repair in your home it's important to…See More
yesterday
Brennan Less liked Jim Gunshinan's blog post Our First Year with Solar Panels, by Chris Stratton
yesterday
Pearl Home Certification posted a blog post

Press Release: HomeSmart International Joins the Pearl Broker Advantage Program

Vienna, Virginia and Scottsdale, Arizona – July 19, 2018 – Pearl Certification and HomeSmart…See More
yesterday
Franco Oyuela commented on Allison A. Bailes III's blog post The Ductopus or the Centipede - Which HVAC Duct System Is Better?
"Many older homes were constructed without air ducts. Ductless systems can provide much needed air…"
yesterday
Franco Oyuela commented on Chris Laumer-Giddens's blog post The Ductless Mini-Split Heat Pump's Big Brother - CITY MULTI
"The compact design and long piping system gives homeowners free reign for designing a ductless…"
yesterday
Terry Hill's event was featured

Passive House Institute US 2018 Conference at Boston

September 19, 2018 at 6pm to September 23, 2018 at 7pm
Annual conferenceSee More
yesterday
Franco Oyuela commented on Allison A. Bailes III's blog post How the Heck Does a Heat Pump Get Heat from Cold?!
"Like conventional central heat pumps, ductless mini-split heat pumps manipulate refrigerant to move…"
yesterday
Leslie Jackson replied to Leslie Jackson's discussion DIY Filter Solution for an Evaporative Cooler, anyone?
"Thanks, Larry! You are probably not confused! Apply skin, not a Band-Aid ... or something like…"
yesterday

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2018   Created by Home Performance Coalition (HPC)   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service