If a tankless water heater is installed in an older home with existing gas lines that serve the furnace and stove, how do you determine if the line is sufficient to supply or if it needs upgrading before the install? Potential problems if the gas line is not large enough: reduced equipment life, increased CO and flue gas condensation, delayed ignition, and reduced performance. Are there any safety concerns if all systems (hot water, stove and furnace) run at the same time?

Views: 157

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The answer is it depends - check the manufacturers specs, they will tell you the size of line needed, etc... if it isn't large enough or you ae not receiving enough through said line you won't get the BTU's needed to bring the temperature up to where you may need it an it can also downgrade the other components also.

I would say generally no on safety concerns though it will impact the burn though in most cases most by-products are caused by incomplete burn do to too little air. My biggest concern would be the stove as most people don't use the exhaust hood

This makes sense, thanks Sean!

Whe I personally installed my gas demand unit in 2010, they had to bring a 3/4 inch line to it, instead of the 1.2 inch line.    I had a 1 1./4 service entering the house, was not a serious issue.  Installed the same day the meter reader was there.   Usage went from 3 MCF per month in summer to 0.5 MCF per month.

Gas design should always take in consideration of all appliances running at the same time.

If all lines are proper size and delivery is normal then there should be no issues These items are normally overspeced. 

I would think net free air to gas fired appliances more of an issue as I have seen water heaters and furnaces slammed into tight spaces clearly not following specs countless times

First the problems - increased CO due to poor combustion, flue condensation delayed ignition, etc. Many potential safety issues.

The plumbing and mechanical code books show a method to size gas lines.The method assumes ALL combustion appliance are operating because that is the most critical condition. The method uses the longest length of gas line, pressure available and gas demand to size gas lines from the table. It is pretty easy to use this method compared to the "friction loss" method found in most fluids engineering text books. Since most plan reviewers and inspectors will compare to this method, it is usually easier to give them what they expect.

RSS

Forum Discussions

Mini split installation location

Started by Jan Green in HVAC. Last reply by Jan Green 8 hours ago. 4 Replies

Mini split air conditioners and ceiling fans

Started by Beverly Lerch in General Forum. Last reply by Beverly Lerch 15 hours ago. 13 Replies

Condensation on ceiling and walls of master bedroom

Started by Jerry Needham in General Forum. Last reply by John Nicholas 16 hours ago. 10 Replies

Think of the house as a really big duct

Started by Frank Spevak in HVAC. Last reply by Franco Oyuela on Tuesday. 1 Reply

What's the Most Profitable HVAC Job for Your Company?

Started by Wayne Melancon in HVAC. Last reply by Franco Oyuela on Tuesday. 4 Replies

Latest Activity

Jan Green replied to Jan Green's discussion Mini split installation location
"Thank you, thank you!  I appreciate your insights.  I agree with the idea that installing…"
8 hours ago
David Butler replied to Jan Green's discussion Mini split installation location
"Hi Jan, in a room like that with a relatively balanced aspect ratio, flat ceiling and not much…"
12 hours ago
Rick Blair joined Kyle Brown's group
Thumbnail

Wrightsoft - Manual J / Manual D

If you use Wrightsoft to calculate loads or design ducts, you likely have questions.  Get answers…See More
14 hours ago
Jan Green replied to Jan Green's discussion Mini split installation location
"This is a very rough diagram of the detached casita.  There are currently no windows in this…"
14 hours ago
Sean Wiens liked Jerry Needham's discussion Condensation on ceiling and walls of master bedroom
14 hours ago
Andrea Simmonsen liked David Byrnes's video
15 hours ago
Beverly Lerch replied to Beverly Lerch's discussion Mini split air conditioners and ceiling fans
"Thanks.  A very reasonable, practical answer.  We have done our experimenting and ceiling…"
15 hours ago
Pearl Home Certification posted a blog post
16 hours ago
John Nicholas replied to Jerry Needham's discussion Condensation on ceiling and walls of master bedroom
"Jerry, ;Have you opened the cathedral ceiling?  "
16 hours ago
Blake Reid replied to Beverly Lerch's discussion Mini split air conditioners and ceiling fans
"Good opinions in these replies!  I'll just add a few: * Experiment.  It's your…"
yesterday
John White replied to Jerry Needham's discussion Condensation on ceiling and walls of master bedroom
"Condensation on ceiling occurs when the attic space above is poorly ventilated or insulated. The…"
yesterday
Joshua P Murphy is now a member of Home Energy Pros Forum
Tuesday
Franco Oyuela replied to Frank Spevak's discussion Think of the house as a really big duct
"THANKS for the information. Ducted mini splits offer hidden benefits."
Tuesday
Franco Oyuela replied to Wayne Melancon's discussion What's the Most Profitable HVAC Job for Your Company?
"Get into commercial, it's more money!"
Tuesday
David Byrnes's video was featured

Why One Room Is Hotter Than Others

Ever wonder if your air conditioner is working right because one room never gets a cool or warm as others? Do you need a bigger air conditioner to fix a room...
Tuesday
Profile IconEric MacCallum, Adam Morgan and Caolan Hutchens joined Home Energy Pros Forum
Monday
David Butler replied to Jan Green's discussion Mini split installation location
"Really hard to advise without knowing the layout. But you're asking good questions. Any chance…"
Monday
Jan Green posted a discussion

Mini split installation location

Reaching out to the experts today to ask about location of installation of a mini split.  I'm a…See More
Monday
David Butler replied to Beverly Lerch's discussion Mini split air conditioners and ceiling fans
"Among the various opinions expressed here, I offer a few 'truths'... Ceiling fans are…"
Monday
Walter Ahlgrim replied to Beverly Lerch's discussion Mini split air conditioners and ceiling fans
"This is one of thouse topic where you ask 10 people and get 12 different opinions. I will give you…"
Monday

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2018   Created by Home Performance Coalition (HPC)   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service