We just finished up a two-year investigation at LBNL on the energy use of video gaming. Energy expenditures amount to about $6 billion annually across the U.S.  The very most energy-intensive systems can use northward of 2000 kWh/year, although most in the 200- to 1000-kWh/y range.  While plug loads like this may not be viewed as in the domain of home performance pros, they're clearly an important indirect factor, e.g. when trying to understand HVAC loads, design or retrofit for Net Zero, etc..

Mother Jones wrote a nice piece on the work, which you can find here.  More reports and background on the project website.

Views: 313

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Fascinating study Evan! Now I'm wondering about Netflix streaming...

Turn those systems off when you leave the house. I have everything on a power strip so I can turn

it off when I leave the house. I am thinking of wiring in a switch to the outlet so its by the door for easy on/off when leaving or coming home. 

Here are some FLIR images and if you notice the temps im not even on the white 

IR_0384.jpg 

IR_0380.jpg

Wow! Thermal imaging really gives proof!

Yeah I was just playing around with it. And my jaw dropped when I took a photo of my PS4 I had been watching netflicks on. 

RSS

Latest Activity

Sean Lintow Sr replied to David Meiland's discussion Air gap above floor insulation--how big is the impact?
"Yes & no - newer codes added in "Exception: As an alternative, the floor framing-cavity…"
yesterday
Dan Phillips replied to tedkidd's discussion It is time for government programs to end. They become monopolies that block market solutions.
"Not all states used deemed savings or modeled savings.  Don't throw the baby out with the…"
yesterday
Dan Phillips replied to David Meiland's discussion Air gap above floor insulation--how big is the impact?
"I wonder if you could do an experiment.  Leave a section of the floor insulation as is. …"
yesterday
Dennis Heidner replied to Tim Kendzia's discussion Cooling effect from solar panels
"I had missed your query originally made a couple of years ago.   Yes it does make a…"
yesterday
Dannie Jackson replied to Tom Smith's discussion Are Energy Efficient Windows worth the investment?
"If you look at the R factor of the window and compare it to old school single pain glass windows…"
yesterday
Dannie Jackson replied to tedkidd's discussion It is time for government programs to end. They become monopolies that block market solutions.
"Something that bothers me which is very similar to the concerns about agencies and programs…"
yesterday
Dannie Jackson replied to Tim Kendzia's discussion Cooling effect from solar panels
"I would assume two things about this idea, first of all you would definitely shade the roof and…"
yesterday
Charles Buell replied to David Meiland's discussion Air gap above floor insulation--how big is the impact?
"You want to install enough insulation that the room temp line is within the insulation---not…"
Friday

© 2018   Created by Home Performance Coalition (HPC)   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service