Proper means to "plug" flue pipes after testing gas appliances.

I have seen metal "plugs" (and this may not be the correct term) used for the holes that are drilled in vent pipes, in order to test combustion appliances.

I'm referring to the type 1 vent pipe that is standard for atmospherically-vented gas appliances.

These plugs appear to be superior to HVAC foil tape. Any thoughts on this?

Also, does anybody know how to get their hands on these metal plugs? I use a 5/16" bit to drill probe holes.

Thanks in advance!

Views: 3284

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I use furnace cement.  Up to 3000 degree tolerance, inexpensive and easy to apply.  I carry a small jar with an applicator inside.

I like to leave things as close to the way I found them.

Patrick,

These are what works for the programs I am involved in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. They are specifically made for the purpose of plugging test holes. The price is good too. Make sure you use a step drill bit, otherwise they may not snap in and hold.

http://www.trutechtools.com/metalplug

Andrew

RSS

Latest Activity

Dannie Jackson liked Allison A. Bailes III's group HVAC
20 hours ago
Dannie Jackson added a discussion to the group Energy Efficient Design
20 hours ago
Dannie Jackson liked Barry NewDelman's discussion Help your Clients save, THEN do what you do best
21 hours ago
Dannie Jackson replied to Barry NewDelman's discussion Whats the Consensus of this group Define "Energy Efficiency" in the group Energy Efficient Design
"Design wise I would say that energy efficiency is defined by the Btu / square foot.  This is…"
21 hours ago
Dannie Jackson joined Chris Laumer-Giddens's group
Thumbnail

Energy Efficient Design

Energy efficiency starts at the drafting table...How architects and designers can help buildings…See More
21 hours ago
Dannie Jackson liked Chris Laumer-Giddens's group Energy Efficient Design
21 hours ago
Dannie Jackson posted a blog post
22 hours ago
Dannie Jackson liked Home Performance Coalition's blog post Building a Market for High-Performing Homes
23 hours ago

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2017   Created by Home Performance Coalition (HPC)   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service