Any advice on how to factor a gas fireplace into a Wrightsoft Manual J model? 

Seems like it would reduce the required heat from the central gas forced air system in that room. But not quite sure how to include this in the model. 

Any advice is appreciated. This is my second Manual J model.

Bachi

Ultimate Home Performance

Views: 402

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would not include it.  Given that it is likely much less efficient than the gas furnace, you don't want to count on the occupants using it when the outside temperature approaches the design temperature.  However, if it is atmospherically vented, you will need to include the flue in the air leakage model.

Dave

Most fireplaces a just a hole that lets heated/cooled air out chimney.  If the heated hole(fireplace) is use much just add more CFM to vent rate.   Most fireplaces are for looks and not a  real way to heat the building (eye candy).   I find a open fireplace is negative 5%  Eff.     

I agree, that fireplaces are for looks and not heat.  There are those who insist on having a fireplace, especially gas, where the vent is always open.  The fireplace needs to be covered with insulation to stop heat/cooling loss.  Fireplace Fashion makes an insulated, magnetic fireplace cover to be used when the fireplace is not in use.  This stops ;the air flow in and out of the chimney, thus stopping any heat or cooling lost dollars.   More information can be found at fireplacefashion.com.

Wrightsoft has an option to include a fireplace in a zone.  I would use that option since it complies with the Manual J instructions.  If you use some other method (hole or heating source) you should make sure your method complies with Manual J.

What kind of gas fire place?  Gas logs... in "generic brick fireplace" with dampers that are left open?  Or a sealed combustion fireplace insert?  With a pilot or pilotless?

If you've got a high performance envelop - and an efficient sealed gas insert.... they can do quite well in heating one end of the house.... and not be a massive air leak.  We have two...in our house.. and it tests at 2.8ACH50.

If the units are cheap - and don't seal up... treat them as a brick fireplace with damper stuck open.

I put a 2 Inch foam cover and painted it black and dropped the heat loss by 3/4.  You can not use it a fire place till remove the cover.  Most cast iron damper are so bent I can not close.   Just say NO to fireplaces and put in the 90%  heating system.   Over 1/2 the high CO probems I go to are with fireplaces 

Sealed combustion fireplace insert. No pilot. I believe it can be hooked up to a room thermostat. 

some can get up to 92% with PVC vent.   Some use 24 volt thermostat that can be +- 2 dead band with heating thermostat

When you model,  add a small additional area  -- say less than 10 sq inch of for possible air leaks...(that should be real high)... be safe and model the fireplace at 60%... efficient.  It really should be used just occasionally not as the primary heat source... 

With an insert - it really isn't the driver for your heat loss in the house.

ACCA Manual J does not consider any heating (BTU gain to a room) from a fireplace.  Manual J only allocates infiltration to the home caused by the fireplace's construction quality.

I think that was part of his concern.  Its a sealed combustion unit.  So the infiltration that might be used for an ordinary fireplace is going to be off the chart.  If its a new home with high end sealed combustion fireplace, correctly installed per manufacturers design... the infiltration might be closer to that of a tankless hot water heater.

A.  The point is that ACCA Manual J does not model for the Btu gain from fireplaces.

B.  Fireplaces are a part of the infiltration load in ACCA Manual J.  You have a choice as to construction quality - Tight, Semi-Tight, Average, Semi-Loose and Loose.  It is all spelled out in the actual Manual J manual published by ACCA.

RSS

Forum Discussions

Why is Air Sealing Important?

Started by Cameron Home Insulation in General Forum 1 hour ago. 0 Replies

Greetings :)

Started by Dennis in General Forum. Last reply by Diane Chojnowski 17 hours ago. 2 Replies

Electro Magnetic Fields (EMF)

Started by Barry L NewDelman in General Forum. Last reply by Brad Cook 17 hours ago. 12 Replies

Zehnder Comfopipe vs. rigid pipe

Started by Alan Lehman in HVAC yesterday. 0 Replies

Follow the action at HPC 2018

Started by Diane Chojnowski in General Forum yesterday. 0 Replies

Latest Activity

Cameron Home Insulation posted a discussion

Why is Air Sealing Important?

Hello guys, Tell me, Why is Air Sealing Important? Share your views.Why is Air Sealing Important?See More
1 hour ago
Ryan T De La Rosa posted a blog post

Home Energy Savings In An Unlikely Place

When thinking of the best way to save mother nature, it's likely that the last thing on your mind…See More
8 hours ago
Taylor Joseph Mckay replied to Taylor Joseph Mckay's discussion Seeking to Purchase Blower Door in the group Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase
"please shoot me an email taylor.joseph.mckay@gmail.com"
10 hours ago
Diane Chojnowski replied to Dennis's discussion Greetings :)
"Welcome Dennis! Great to have you join us! "
17 hours ago
Brad Cook replied to Barry L NewDelman's discussion Electro Magnetic Fields (EMF)
"Whoa! EMFs are everywhere, but they are not all equal. The characteristics of EMFs varies very much…"
17 hours ago
Ben Thompson replied to Taylor Joseph Mckay's discussion Seeking to Purchase Blower Door in the group Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase
"Hi Taylor.  I have a Minneapolis Blower Door set up for sale. DG-700 manometer was factory…"
17 hours ago
Arn McIntyre replied to Taylor Joseph Mckay's discussion Seeking to Purchase Blower Door in the group Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase
"Taylor I have item described below for sale.  Pictures are posted in Equipment for…"
17 hours ago
Taylor Joseph Mckay added a discussion to the group Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase
Thumbnail

Seeking to Purchase Blower Door

Hi, I'm getting into energy audits and am looking to save a few bucks on picking up a used blower…See More
18 hours ago
Taylor Joseph Mckay joined allen p tanner's group
Thumbnail

Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase

Discuss the pros and cons of the equipment you are interested in prior to purchase. Post equipment…See More
18 hours ago
Sandra James replied to Barry L NewDelman's discussion Electro Magnetic Fields (EMF)
"I am quite interested in how EMF can cause health issues.  There is no question that too much…"
18 hours ago
Sandra James replied to Dennis's discussion Greetings :)
"Hello There, I am new as well. Hoping to learn new things through the course of this time on this…"
18 hours ago
Profile IconJames Sabal, Ethan Foley and Katelyn Haas Conrad joined Home Energy Pros Forum
19 hours ago
Alan Lehman posted a discussion

Zehnder Comfopipe vs. rigid pipe

Hello All,I have installed few Zehnder systems and I am not sure if my rep is giving me the info I…See More
yesterday
Diane Chojnowski posted a discussion
yesterday
Brett Little's 2 events were featured
yesterday
Profile IconSandra James, arthur wilson, Nolan and 4 more joined Home Energy Pros Forum
yesterday
Landon added a discussion to the group Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase
Thumbnail

BRAND NEW: Fantastic Software for Retrotec

I purchased a new blower door system from retrotec and it came with the fantestic software.…See More
Monday
CEE posted a blog post
Monday
CEE's blog post was featured
Monday
Brett Little posted events
Saturday

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2018   Created by Home Performance Coalition (HPC)   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service