Hi all, 

I am a new energy modeler in Canada, and I am trying to figure out how to model an addition to an existing house. The addition will use the existing furnace. I was thinking I would only model the addition, but in the "Natural Air Infiltration" tab, I would enter in the volume for the entire house, and make sure that the output capacities for the existing HRV reflect the addition. Any thoughts? Has anyone modeled an addition in HOT2000 before? 

Thanks!

Views: 159

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Kyla,

In HOT2000, you need to model the whole house.  Are you doing this from plans?  What's the purpose of modelling this?

Dave Baerg

Hi Dave, thank you for your reply!

The purpose of the model is to show code compliance for the addition. I am doing it from plans, but I don't have plans for the entire house, or assemblies for the existing walls. I ended up speaking to someone from Natural Resources Canada yesterday and she told me that walls that are adjacent to a heated space don't need to be modeled, so I took that to mean that I wouldn't have to model the entire house. I assumed it would be treated similar to a duplex. But in your experience that isn't the case?

Kyla

No.  I think the person at NRCan didn't fully understand your situation.  One heating source means it's one house.  It's also important to distinguish between a duplex and a semi-detached.  Semi-detached houses have seperate heating and hot water systems and are separated by a vertical wall.  From what I understand, that's not the case here. 

If the addition is a seperate living unit but shares a heating system with the existing house, it's a duplex. But duplexes need to be modeled as one house, or more accurately, as a MURB.  Which would mean you need to assess the existing structure.

If your code is anything like the Ontario code (or maybe you are in Ontario), compliance would most easily be met using a prescriptive method - i.e. walls must be a certain R value, ceilings another, windows a certain U value, etc.  But it's probably best to talk to the municipal code official about that.

The other issue is wether or not the heat load of the new larger house be satisfied by the existing heating system. HOT can give you a design heat loss calculation, or you can get an HVAC designer to do the calculation.  But either way, somebody has to go to the house to assess the existing house.

Dave

Ah, I see. Thanks very much, Dave!

I agree. 99% of the time additions are best suited for the prescriptive method. No modeling needed.

RSS

Forum Discussions

Linda Wigington Leadership Award Nominations

Started by Diane Chojnowski in General Forum. Last reply by Diane Chojnowski 14 hours ago. 1 Reply

70 unit building rehab

Started by Jerry Needham in Multifamily. Last reply by Jenna Bader yesterday. 1 Reply

Are Energy Efficient Windows worth the investment?

Started by Tom Smith in General Forum. Last reply by Diane Chojnowski on Wednesday. 12 Replies

Latest Activity

Heather Schall-Lucas is now a member of Home Energy Pros Forum
5 hours ago
Diane Chojnowski replied to Diane Chojnowski's discussion Linda Wigington Leadership Award Nominations
"Do you know someone doing extraordinary work to strengthen the home performance &…"
14 hours ago
Profile IconDaikinMEA, Beth Meteney, Erik Brewer and 4 more joined Home Energy Pros Forum
yesterday
John White posted photos
yesterday
Jenna Bader replied to Jerry Needham's discussion 70 unit building rehab
"Where is this project located? Try getting an energy modeler to perform an analysis of the…"
yesterday
Michael Schettine's video was featured

AccuFrame Water Test

In this short video, water is used to visualize air leakage sites that are present in the majority of framed walls in the US. New regulations require better ...
yesterday
Olivia Taylor posted a blog post
yesterday
Chris Dorsi posted an event
Thumbnail

2019 Habitat X Summer National Conference at Norm Asbjornson Hall

June 12, 2019 at 8:30am to June 14, 2019 at 5pm
Registration is now open for the 2019 Habitat X Summer National Conference. This eighth annual…See More
Thursday

© 2019   Created by Home Performance Coalition (HPC)   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service