Hoping to know more about the two-stage furnaces

I Would like to get some information on how to pick a furnace filter? I was thinking of furnace rental, as the furnace in our home is working poorly now. I’ve checked the filters and other things related to it. But, I didn’t find anything unusual. I believe the reason to be its age. We have been using it for more than 19 years. I’ve found [link removed], from where I was thinking of renting one. The one currently we have in our home is a single stage furnace. We find it comfortable. One of my cousins suggested renting a two-stage, which she says is more comfortable than the single stage. She also suggested me two furnaces: 95AF2V from Aire flow and XV95 from Trane Furnaces. I don’t know about these two nor about the two-stage furnace or its uses… If anyone could explain or give me some insights on these, that would be a great help. Thanks in advance...

Views: 132

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You don't give us a lot to go on here. "Furnace is working poorly"? Furnace filter is OK, but you have a question about picking filters?

A 19 year old furnace is getting along a bit, but is hardly an automatic candidate for replacement. I'd get that serviced first, and find out why it's working poorly.

If it is a non-condensing furnace (there's only one exhaust tube coming off the furnace, and it's made of metal) -- then it's at most about 82% efficient. You can probably save a good deal on your gas bills by replacing it. If it needs more than a few hundred $$ in repairs to get working "not poorly" -- replace it.

But if it's based on condensing technology (there are one or two plastic tubes coming off the furnace) -- then it's already close to 90% efficient. A two-stage (95% efficient) furnace can't save enough gas to be worth doing -- keep your existing furnace until a trained technician tells you it's no longer safe and reliable.

And, I can't figure out any way that a rented furnace could be cheaper than one purchased outright -- someone has to make a profit on the loan they are offering you, in addition to a profit on the furnace itself. And you have no way of knowing how to separate out the two parts of the transaction unless you are a good financial analyst. Pay for the furnace outright, and get your best price. Shop for the loan separately, and get your best price. 

In the buildings we work in, the only people that lease hardware (always just water heaters, never furnaces or boilers) are the owners of apartment buildings -- and  they do it solely because, when you operate real estate, there are big tax advantages (in the US) for doing things that are otherwise really not very smart.  

Regarding filters... The primary purpose of a filter is to protect the blower and other furnace components, and secondarily, to improve indoor air quality. The least expensive type of filter is fiberglass mesh. It's also the least effective as it only captures a relatively small percentage of particles that pass through it. Pleated filters do a much better job, but they come in a wide range based on the performance rating (MERV, except 3M Filtrete uses 'MPR'). Unless there's a reason to go higher, I typically recommend MERV 8 or MPR 600 for most folks, which cost less than higher performance filters. Be sure to get the same thickness as your existing filter (filters come in 1", 2" and 4"). Here's a good place to read about filters: Your Filter Connection

As Don noted, it's hard to advise you on your furnace since you didn't explain why you think it's working poorly, even though you said it's comfortable.

If you do end up replacing the furnace, make sure you go with the right size. Your existing furnace is probably oversized.

The easiest and most accurate way to determine the correct size is to time the on / off cycles on your existing furnace when it's as cold as it normally gets. For example, if the furnace operates 60% of the time over two full cycles during the coldest part of the day (typically just before sunrise) and your current furnace is 100k capacity, then you would go with a 60k or 70k replacement. If you go with a more efficient model, use the output capacity rather than input capacity when doing the math.

If you have an idea of how much you spend on heating per year (average), you can estimate whether it makes sense to spend the extra bucks on a higher efficiency model once you get comparative quotes. But if your existing furnace is working, you're not going to save enough to justify buying a new one.

Also keep in mind that unless a 2-stage furnace is sized closely to the actual heat load, it will end up operating as a single stage furnace most if not all of the time.

Lastly, I agree with Don on leasing. I've never heard of leasing a furnace. I can't imagine it would be to your advantage. A good bit of the cost is labor and mark-up, and you're going to pay those costs either way.

Furnaces require occasional servicing by professionals and that should be the first step. Your post includes a direct link to a furnace rental provider in Toronto so, in combination with lack of a clear question, this post could be perceived more as an advertisement  for that company than a bona-fide request for information. Furnace rentals should only be done if there are no other options. As with any lease, the commitment and payments will be excessive in comparison to buying. If selling the property, the rental will become an issue and often the seller is forced to do the buy out to facilitate the sale.

RSS

Forum Discussions

Efficiency of furnace

Started by Jignesh in General Forum. Last reply by Barbara Smith yesterday. 7 Replies

Best brands for furnace

Started by Jignesh in General Forum. Last reply by Barbara Smith yesterday. 1 Reply

Insulation Blower Recommendations?

Started by Jim Conlon in General Forum. Last reply by Cameron Home Insulation yesterday. 2 Replies

2005 EPAct tax credit

Started by Mandy Leazenby in General Forum. Last reply by Sean Lintow Sr on Thursday. 3 Replies

Latest Activity

Sara Watson posted a blog post

6 Tips to Pick Out The Best Solar Outdoor Lights

You have a beautiful home in Florida and plan to add a little sparkle to your front garden, patio,…See More
10 hours ago
DesignTech liked DesignTech's photo
12 hours ago
Anthony Roy is now a member of Home Energy Pros Forum
23 hours ago
Barbara Smith commented on Barbara Smith's video
yesterday
Barbara Smith replied to Jignesh's discussion Efficiency of furnace
"Installation and proper sizing is important to getting the best performance out of your furnace.…"
yesterday
Barbara Smith replied to Jignesh's discussion Best brands for furnace
"Check ENERGY STAR and Consumer Reports.…"
yesterday
Barbara Smith replied to Diane Chojnowski's discussion Support Mike Rogers, a long-time home performance hero, as he battles sinus cancer. in the group News & Announcements
yesterday
Barbara Smith joined Diane Chojnowski's group
Thumbnail

News & Announcements

Share your news and announcements with the community in this group.To post news or an announcement,…See More
yesterday
Diane Chojnowski added a discussion to the group News & Announcements
Thumbnail

Support Mike Rogers, a long-time home performance hero, as he battles sinus cancer.

Support Mike Rogers, a long-time home performance hero, as he battles sinus cancer. Write a note, a…See More
yesterday
Eric Kjelshus replied to Jignesh's discussion Efficiency of furnace
"I like looking at system efficiency - Lets say the you have a 95% gas using furnace 100,000…"
yesterday
Cameron Home Insulation replied to Jim Conlon's discussion Insulation Blower Recommendations?
"Hi, Rent a Cellulose Insulation Blower from your local Home Depot. Get more information about…"
yesterday
Todd Abercrombie liked Barbara Smith's video
Saturday
Jim Hensen replied to Jignesh's discussion Efficiency of furnace
"Great question - what the efficiency rating means is one of the most common questions we we asked.…"
Saturday
Michael Schettine's blog post was featured

Framing production combined with air sealing

Building Tighter Homes with Gasketed FramingIf you follow our blog, you know that we talk quite a…See More
Friday
Profile IconMichael E and Jason Dion joined Home Energy Pros Forum
Friday
Jason Dion joined Sean Lintow Sr's group
Thumbnail

Best Practices (Residential)

Best Building, Retrofitting, or even Auditing Practices - what are they, what should change, what…See More
Friday
Jason Dion joined Michael Stuart's group
Thumbnail

INFRARED THERMOGRAPHY USERS

This group is dedicated to knowledge sharing and discussion of infrared thermography for building…See More
Friday
Jason Dion joined allen p tanner's group
Thumbnail

Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase

Discuss the pros and cons of the equipment you are interested in prior to purchase. Post equipment…See More
Friday
Jason Dion joined Allison A. Bailes III's group
Thumbnail

HVAC

HVAC design, Manuals J, S, T, & D, Duct leakage, Air flow, ENERGY STAR new home requirements,…See More
Friday
Jason Dion joined Bob Krell's group
Thumbnail

Healthy Indoors (IAQ)

The Healthy Indoors group is focused on indoor air quality (IAQ), mold, moisture control, radon,…See More
Friday

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2018   Created by Home Performance Coalition (HPC)   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service