Experience with new energy monitoring tools such as Curb, Sense, Nerio and Smapee

I have been trying to get feedback from people's experience with these breaker box monitoring tools. Do any of them work and provide useful data. I frequently get called by people who want me to audit their homes to tell them exactly where all their power/energy is being used and why their bills are so high. In a one day audit, one can't really do that without knowing a detailed breakdown of the energy usage over time, though one can make some educated guesses based on HVAC quality, but that is not a complete picture. The typical question: "where is all my energy going?"

Thanks. 

Tags: energy, house, monitoring, whole

Views: 730

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have been thinking about putting it on my own home as you suggest, and was wondering which, if any to try, though they all seem to have issues. With circuit level of my existing home, it was not built with such forethought such that I have no idea what if any logic there is to most of my circuits to know from what rooms they feed. I am not an electrician so it would take a ton of work (doable but I have some other priorities on my time) to go through my house and id everything just to know what the circuit monitors are recording. 

In reviewing the few replies, it seems there really is nothing yet to answer those inquiries: "where is my (E) going and driving up my bill" with any of these devices.    

@Dav, 240-volt circuits are dedicated to a single appliance so circuit monitoring with CT's provides per-appliance data. I don't think it makes sense to try to use circuit level monitoring for plug & lighting loads. TED, Brultech and other CT-based monitoring systems include a virtual 'everything else' channel that accounts for lighting and plug loads. Individual plug loads can easily be monitored with a $20 Kill-A-Watt or similar.

SiteSage, formerly eMonitor, is a great system for sleuthing. Plus you can download data to excel. Stable and relatively easy to install - once you understand the instructions. The main downside is a monthly fee, which acts something like a financial phantom load. It can monitor 14+ circuits at once, fewer if they're not all single phase.

Details here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006Z5OKLE/ref=asc_df_B006Z5OKLE5323212/?...

I'm actively trying to help my clients with high electrical bills even with solar. Im in Calif.   I anticipate this need will explode when consumers with or without solar wake up to find their utility is switching to Time Of Use billing.  I anticipate the could be the year of selling onsite battery storage as a cost effective measure.

I've personally installed energy monitoring units from Raintree.  Real time monitoring of your electrical load.  Installation is a breeze,  wirelessly talks to your smart meter (zigbee).  Raintree needs 3rd party software for the residential market.

I'm also looking a apps or service providers to can download 12 months of data in hour or 15 minutes increments.  Calif utilities can provide this feature.  There are dozens of service providers that can integrate this into their energy models.  The providers/developers in this space are mostly focused on the commercial market.

I plan to offer to install EMU from raintree and offer analysis their current electrical load by dumping it into excel.    It would be great if there develops entering the residential marketplace.

Let me know if there other tools out there that should be considered.  This is bringing energy assessments back to life.

I've tried out most of the available residential energy monitors over the years and am satisfied with none of them. The ones that monitor just a single circuit don't provide enough detail, the "learning" devices (such as Sense) aren't nearly smart enough nor learn fast enough...and the "whole panel" solutions (Site Sage/Power Wise, Curb, eGauge) are too expensive for everyday use. 

I recently tried out the Neurio, which offers up to 4 input channels at a reasonable cost. The user interface (mobile and computer) is poor, but my detailed analysis is often done in a spreadsheet after downloading data. Unfortunately, Neurio is currently limiting download granularity to 5-, 15- and 60-minute "intervals" (I'd like to have 1-minute data). On top of that, the 5-minute data can only be downloaded in 1-day chunks at a time. And on top of that (!) the "interval" data is not averaged over the interval, but is in fact, just a single measurement at the end of the interval...rendering the data nearly useless. 

I hate to say it, but this space (home energy monitors) now appears to be dominated by dot.com 'app' developers who lack a mature understanding of what's involved in data logging & graphing algorithms.

BTW, the Brultech monitor natively has user-defined data increments that can be modified via RS485 comm. This is separate from client and web-based graphing and logging software available from several 3rd party vendors.

RSS

Forum Discussions

Efficiency of furnace

Started by Jignesh in General Forum. Last reply by Barbara Smith yesterday. 7 Replies

Best brands for furnace

Started by Jignesh in General Forum. Last reply by Barbara Smith yesterday. 1 Reply

Insulation Blower Recommendations?

Started by Jim Conlon in General Forum. Last reply by Cameron Home Insulation yesterday. 2 Replies

2005 EPAct tax credit

Started by Mandy Leazenby in General Forum. Last reply by Sean Lintow Sr on Thursday. 3 Replies

Latest Activity

Sara Watson posted a blog post

6 Tips to Pick Out The Best Solar Outdoor Lights

You have a beautiful home in Florida and plan to add a little sparkle to your front garden, patio,…See More
12 hours ago
DesignTech liked DesignTech's photo
14 hours ago
Anthony Roy is now a member of Home Energy Pros Forum
yesterday
Barbara Smith commented on Barbara Smith's video
yesterday
Barbara Smith replied to Jignesh's discussion Efficiency of furnace
"Installation and proper sizing is important to getting the best performance out of your furnace.…"
yesterday
Barbara Smith replied to Jignesh's discussion Best brands for furnace
"Check ENERGY STAR and Consumer Reports.…"
yesterday
Barbara Smith replied to Diane Chojnowski's discussion Support Mike Rogers, a long-time home performance hero, as he battles sinus cancer. in the group News & Announcements
yesterday
Barbara Smith joined Diane Chojnowski's group
Thumbnail

News & Announcements

Share your news and announcements with the community in this group.To post news or an announcement,…See More
yesterday
Diane Chojnowski added a discussion to the group News & Announcements
Thumbnail

Support Mike Rogers, a long-time home performance hero, as he battles sinus cancer.

Support Mike Rogers, a long-time home performance hero, as he battles sinus cancer. Write a note, a…See More
yesterday
Eric Kjelshus replied to Jignesh's discussion Efficiency of furnace
"I like looking at system efficiency - Lets say the you have a 95% gas using furnace 100,000…"
yesterday
Cameron Home Insulation replied to Jim Conlon's discussion Insulation Blower Recommendations?
"Hi, Rent a Cellulose Insulation Blower from your local Home Depot. Get more information about…"
yesterday
Todd Abercrombie liked Barbara Smith's video
Saturday
Jim Hensen replied to Jignesh's discussion Efficiency of furnace
"Great question - what the efficiency rating means is one of the most common questions we we asked.…"
Saturday
Michael Schettine's blog post was featured

Framing production combined with air sealing

Building Tighter Homes with Gasketed FramingIf you follow our blog, you know that we talk quite a…See More
Friday
Profile IconMichael E and Jason Dion joined Home Energy Pros Forum
Friday
Jason Dion joined Sean Lintow Sr's group
Thumbnail

Best Practices (Residential)

Best Building, Retrofitting, or even Auditing Practices - what are they, what should change, what…See More
Friday
Jason Dion joined Michael Stuart's group
Thumbnail

INFRARED THERMOGRAPHY USERS

This group is dedicated to knowledge sharing and discussion of infrared thermography for building…See More
Friday
Jason Dion joined allen p tanner's group
Thumbnail

Energy Auditing Equipment for Sale, Trade or to Purchase

Discuss the pros and cons of the equipment you are interested in prior to purchase. Post equipment…See More
Friday
Jason Dion joined Allison A. Bailes III's group
Thumbnail

HVAC

HVAC design, Manuals J, S, T, & D, Duct leakage, Air flow, ENERGY STAR new home requirements,…See More
Friday
Jason Dion joined Bob Krell's group
Thumbnail

Healthy Indoors (IAQ)

The Healthy Indoors group is focused on indoor air quality (IAQ), mold, moisture control, radon,…See More
Friday

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2018   Created by Home Performance Coalition (HPC)   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service