I would be very much interested in knowing, as professionals) how many members have had questions about Health Issues from EMF (Electro Magnetic fields ) 

I would like to further discuss this issue if it is relevent to this forum

Thanks

Views: 444

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have heard the question many times.  I have no answers.  I would like to hear from experts.

One good source is the Environmental Health Trust,https://ehtrust.org/

EMF is one of the most-researched topics in the history of public health. The World Health Organization has a lot of info:

http://www.who.int/peh-emf/about/WhatisEMF/en/index1.html

Like visible light, EMF (and other radiation) follows the inverse-square law, so moving away from the source rapidly reduces the field strength. An everyday example would be the difference between looking at a camera flash close to your face vs. at a flash from across a room.

EMFs are everywhere and in varying strengths and frequencies. In my experience a small percentage of the population report that they are very sensitive to EMFs (I have a few such clients). This may be similar to some who are very sensitive to air pollutants such s VOCs, mold and other allergens. What we do know it that the effects of electromagnetic radiation varies with the frequency and distance from the source. The frequencies of the microwave region can cook food from the inside out. Frequencies of the mid-infrared band will transfer a lot of thermal energy (such as from the sun) and of course there is the visible light band. EMFs are generally not considered a health risk, unless you spend any significant time close to a source, such as living next to a high voltage power line or (transformer) substation or talking on your cellphone with it next to your ear for extended periods.

We are occasionally requested to test for EMF's in the course of our home inspections. I use a reasonably priced gauss meter and I walk from an area of near-zero reading toward the suspected source/s. I make no interpretation of readings but I have shared pdf research articles with clients who request them. Several of those clients have walked away from their proposed home purchase after seeing the meter max out when it nears the cell tower, high tension lines, transformer, or other EMF source. Being a big believer in the precautionary principle I would do the same thing were I in their situation. 

Daniel,

Which brand did you go with and would you mind sharing one of the articles you would share with a client? We have only been asked once or twice if we test for EMF's and I doubt we are going to go in that direction but am always looking to learn as much as I can and might grab a meter just to start playing with one. 

Thanks

Mike Pagozalski Certified Home InspectorHI9519

I've had one client that was very sensitive and ultimately moved to get away from an unknown source that caused extreme reactions to it. 

Coming from an electrical engineering back ground, I am thinking here about the effect of currents on surfaces, electrical currents travels only on the outside of tubular conductors, however if wires are shielded inside such tubular conductors such as metal conduit this offers some shielding since induced currents will not travel the inside of the tube.  To make this more practical and guard against conditions that would defeat the purpose of this concept, the conduit needs to be grounded along its path at various points, connecting it to an earth ground outside the building.  Better still would be the idea of having the conduit in the ground, coming up to various tie points to wall sockets, in which case the in ground conduit can be PVC since the ground is the shield and absorbent.  These ideas add extra labor and expense to the cost of construction so that has to be considered also.  One thing I would say also is that electrical wires inside a metal building or mobile home fill the interior of the structure with electromagnetic radiation whereas buildings made of wood and brick would allow some of this energy to pass through the walls to the outside and lessen it inside the structure.  Conduit with such wood and brick structures would be a good idea.

I had an EMF meter and had checked out a number of homes. I recommended one client move her bedroom to the opposite end of her house due to the measurable field from a power transformer. Her headaches and depression subsided significantly.

The book Cross Currents by Dr. Robert Becker is a good read on the subject.
https://www.amazon.com/Cross-Currents-Electropollution-Promise-Elec...

With microwaves, it's the large 60 Hz transformer that may be as much of a concern as the higher frequency microwaves. A lot of EMF research in the '80's was squashed thanks to electrical utility companies and power producers.

There are still some intriguing questions around the non-linear correlation between EMF strength and health impact. But I haven't looked at any recent studies to see where the field is today (pun intended).

I have heard some concern about it, and expect interest to grow as more research connects EMF exposure to health impacts. You can't do much about a building located near a cell tower (although I have heard of people retrofitting buildings to provide additional shielding), but people can take steps to reduce local sources (use speakerphone and/or air tube headsets instead of holding mobile phones to your head, use wired internet instead of WiFi and/or turn off WiFi routers when not in use, locate beds away from smart meters, etc.). We are in something of a large experiment with humans being exposed to so many more sources of EM radiation than ever before in the history of our species. Unfortunately, the fact that there are very few people NOT exposed to these sources makes some types of research studies difficult since we lack a proper control group.

Regarding measurement, a friend of mine has the Trifield meter and seems to like it.

RSS

Latest Activity

Don Fugler replied to Don Fugler's discussion joining ducts in the group HVAC
"Brendan, Thanks for that response. Because of your warning, I just went down to the basement and…"
1 hour ago
Brendan Reid replied to Don Fugler's discussion joining ducts in the group HVAC
"Hi Don, Summary: DRYER VENT: screws bad idea, possibly prohibited by code. METAL DUCT: must be…"
1 hour ago
Profile IconBrendan Reid and David Butler joined Allison A. Bailes III's group
Thumbnail

HVAC

HVAC design, Manuals J, S, T, & D, Duct leakage, Air flow, ENERGY STAR new home requirements,…See More
1 hour ago
Profile IconSean Wiens and David Butler joined Chris Laumer-Giddens's group
Thumbnail

Energy Efficient Design

Energy efficiency starts at the drafting table...How architects and designers can help buildings…See More
10 hours ago
Profile IconSean Wiens and David Butler joined Mark Richardson's group
Thumbnail

Renewable Energy

This group will focus on the issues associated with incorporating renewable energy sources like…See More
10 hours ago
Al Tibbs posted photos
10 hours ago
Al Tibbs replied to Bob Krell's discussion What Do You Do When You Find Suspected Mold? in the group Healthy Indoors (IAQ)
"In any case where there is visible mold present, I would begin with a thorough VISUAL assessment of…"
11 hours ago
Al Tibbs joined Bob Krell's group
Thumbnail

Healthy Indoors (IAQ)

The Healthy Indoors group is focused on indoor air quality (IAQ), mold, moisture control, radon,…See More
11 hours ago

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2017   Created by Home Performance Coalition (HPC)   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service