I would be very much interested in knowing, as professionals) how many members have had questions about Health Issues from EMF (Electro Magnetic fields ) 

I would like to further discuss this issue if it is relevent to this forum

Thanks

Views: 617

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have heard the question many times.  I have no answers.  I would like to hear from experts.

One good source is the Environmental Health Trust,https://ehtrust.org/

EMF is one of the most-researched topics in the history of public health. The World Health Organization has a lot of info:

http://www.who.int/peh-emf/about/WhatisEMF/en/index1.html

Like visible light, EMF (and other radiation) follows the inverse-square law, so moving away from the source rapidly reduces the field strength. An everyday example would be the difference between looking at a camera flash close to your face vs. at a flash from across a room.

EMFs are everywhere and in varying strengths and frequencies. In my experience a small percentage of the population report that they are very sensitive to EMFs (I have a few such clients). This may be similar to some who are very sensitive to air pollutants such s VOCs, mold and other allergens. What we do know it that the effects of electromagnetic radiation varies with the frequency and distance from the source. The frequencies of the microwave region can cook food from the inside out. Frequencies of the mid-infrared band will transfer a lot of thermal energy (such as from the sun) and of course there is the visible light band. EMFs are generally not considered a health risk, unless you spend any significant time close to a source, such as living next to a high voltage power line or (transformer) substation or talking on your cellphone with it next to your ear for extended periods.

We are occasionally requested to test for EMF's in the course of our home inspections. I use a reasonably priced gauss meter and I walk from an area of near-zero reading toward the suspected source/s. I make no interpretation of readings but I have shared pdf research articles with clients who request them. Several of those clients have walked away from their proposed home purchase after seeing the meter max out when it nears the cell tower, high tension lines, transformer, or other EMF source. Being a big believer in the precautionary principle I would do the same thing were I in their situation. 

Daniel,

Which brand did you go with and would you mind sharing one of the articles you would share with a client? We have only been asked once or twice if we test for EMF's and I doubt we are going to go in that direction but am always looking to learn as much as I can and might grab a meter just to start playing with one. 

Thanks

Mike Pagozalski Certified Home InspectorHI9519

I've had one client that was very sensitive and ultimately moved to get away from an unknown source that caused extreme reactions to it. 

Coming from an electrical engineering back ground, I am thinking here about the effect of currents on surfaces, electrical currents travels only on the outside of tubular conductors, however if wires are shielded inside such tubular conductors such as metal conduit this offers some shielding since induced currents will not travel the inside of the tube.  To make this more practical and guard against conditions that would defeat the purpose of this concept, the conduit needs to be grounded along its path at various points, connecting it to an earth ground outside the building.  Better still would be the idea of having the conduit in the ground, coming up to various tie points to wall sockets, in which case the in ground conduit can be PVC since the ground is the shield and absorbent.  These ideas add extra labor and expense to the cost of construction so that has to be considered also.  One thing I would say also is that electrical wires inside a metal building or mobile home fill the interior of the structure with electromagnetic radiation whereas buildings made of wood and brick would allow some of this energy to pass through the walls to the outside and lessen it inside the structure.  Conduit with such wood and brick structures would be a good idea.

I had an EMF meter and had checked out a number of homes. I recommended one client move her bedroom to the opposite end of her house due to the measurable field from a power transformer. Her headaches and depression subsided significantly.

The book Cross Currents by Dr. Robert Becker is a good read on the subject.
https://www.amazon.com/Cross-Currents-Electropollution-Promise-Elec...

With microwaves, it's the large 60 Hz transformer that may be as much of a concern as the higher frequency microwaves. A lot of EMF research in the '80's was squashed thanks to electrical utility companies and power producers.

There are still some intriguing questions around the non-linear correlation between EMF strength and health impact. But I haven't looked at any recent studies to see where the field is today (pun intended).

I have heard some concern about it, and expect interest to grow as more research connects EMF exposure to health impacts. You can't do much about a building located near a cell tower (although I have heard of people retrofitting buildings to provide additional shielding), but people can take steps to reduce local sources (use speakerphone and/or air tube headsets instead of holding mobile phones to your head, use wired internet instead of WiFi and/or turn off WiFi routers when not in use, locate beds away from smart meters, etc.). We are in something of a large experiment with humans being exposed to so many more sources of EM radiation than ever before in the history of our species. Unfortunately, the fact that there are very few people NOT exposed to these sources makes some types of research studies difficult since we lack a proper control group.

Regarding measurement, a friend of mine has the Trifield meter and seems to like it.

I am quite interested in how EMF can cause health issues. 

There is no question that too much exposure to high frequency radiation can create health problems. If we stay out in the sun too long, we get sunburned from prolonged UV exposure. Every time we get X-Rays, the technician will ask if we are pregnant because X-Rays can cause harm to the growing baby.

Health effects of low frequency EMF radiation are more controversial for many reasons:

First, symptoms due to use of microwave ovens, smart meters, WiFi, cell phones, etc. can be inconspicuous at first, but they may become noticeable over time rather than immediately.

Second, the electronic and telecommunication industries have strong financial interests in consumers not being aware of potential harm from using their products.

We have long known that the human body is a sophisticated electromagnetic system. Now once we learn machine learning we see how things can change in the long run. Our nervous system and our heart run on electricity, which explains why we can shock a dead heart into life using an electric shock machine called a defibrillator. 

Whoa! EMFs are everywhere, but they are not all equal. The characteristics of EMFs varies very much by their frequency. Even on the most remote place on earth, there are EMFs. EVERYTHING gives off heat by Infrared radiation, a very narrow band just below the visible light spectrum. The sun sends EMFs of many frequencies- X-rays, Gamma Rays, UV light, visible light, Infrared light, etc. Radio telescopes receive detect EMFs of many frequencies hitting earth from galaxies far far away.
EMFs in the IR-visible-UV spectrum can be completely stopped by a piece of paper. EMFs in the microwave range can be stopped by a few layers of metal. EMFs in the X-ray region need several inches of lead to attenuate them. The lead apron for dental X-rays does not completely stop all of the X-rays, but today's x-ray machines use much lower doses and more focused beams that exposure is much less than years ago. Radio waves send information over the air. Higher frequencies are better at getting through metal and building materials, while lower frequencies can travel beyond the curve of the earth! Microwaves will heat things internally. Except for lasers, almost all EMF sources send their energy out in many directions, so the energy falls of by the fourth power of the distance (which is rather quickly).
So when discussing EMFs, don't lump them all together. Frequency, power, distance from source, and what is between you and the source all need to be considered.
I do agree that man creates a lot of the EMFs that we encounter, but unless you are close to a powerful source, we have many other things to worry about, such as poor air quality (both in cities and in many homes), Radon (second to smoking for cause of lung cancer in US), impaired drivers and crazy people with guns, trucks, vans and other weapons for killing random people.

RSS

Forum Discussions

Mini split installation location

Started by Jan Green in HVAC. Last reply by David Butler 28 minutes ago. 3 Replies

Mini split air conditioners and ceiling fans

Started by Beverly Lerch in General Forum. Last reply by Beverly Lerch 3 hours ago. 13 Replies

Condensation on ceiling and walls of master bedroom

Started by Jerry Needham in General Forum. Last reply by John Nicholas 4 hours ago. 10 Replies

Think of the house as a really big duct

Started by Frank Spevak in HVAC. Last reply by Franco Oyuela yesterday. 1 Reply

What's the Most Profitable HVAC Job for Your Company?

Started by Wayne Melancon in HVAC. Last reply by Franco Oyuela yesterday. 4 Replies

Latest Activity

David Butler replied to Jan Green's discussion Mini split installation location
"Hi Jan, in a room like that with a relatively balanced aspect ratio, flat ceiling and not much…"
28 minutes ago
Rick Blair joined Kyle Brown's group
Thumbnail

Wrightsoft - Manual J / Manual D

If you use Wrightsoft to calculate loads or design ducts, you likely have questions.  Get answers…See More
1 hour ago
Jan Green replied to Jan Green's discussion Mini split installation location
"This is a very rough diagram of the detached casita.  There are currently no windows in this…"
1 hour ago
Sean Wiens liked Jerry Needham's discussion Condensation on ceiling and walls of master bedroom
1 hour ago
Andrea Simmonsen liked David Byrnes's video
3 hours ago
Beverly Lerch replied to Beverly Lerch's discussion Mini split air conditioners and ceiling fans
"Thanks.  A very reasonable, practical answer.  We have done our experimenting and ceiling…"
3 hours ago
Pearl Home Certification posted a blog post
4 hours ago
John Nicholas replied to Jerry Needham's discussion Condensation on ceiling and walls of master bedroom
"Jerry, ;Have you opened the cathedral ceiling?  "
4 hours ago
Blake Reid replied to Beverly Lerch's discussion Mini split air conditioners and ceiling fans
"Good opinions in these replies!  I'll just add a few: * Experiment.  It's your…"
23 hours ago
John White replied to Jerry Needham's discussion Condensation on ceiling and walls of master bedroom
"Condensation on ceiling occurs when the attic space above is poorly ventilated or insulated. The…"
yesterday
Joshua P Murphy is now a member of Home Energy Pros Forum
yesterday
Franco Oyuela replied to Frank Spevak's discussion Think of the house as a really big duct
"THANKS for the information. Ducted mini splits offer hidden benefits."
yesterday
Franco Oyuela replied to Wayne Melancon's discussion What's the Most Profitable HVAC Job for Your Company?
"Get into commercial, it's more money!"
yesterday
David Byrnes's video was featured

Why One Room Is Hotter Than Others

Ever wonder if your air conditioner is working right because one room never gets a cool or warm as others? Do you need a bigger air conditioner to fix a room...
Tuesday
Profile IconEric MacCallum, Adam Morgan and Caolan Hutchens joined Home Energy Pros Forum
Monday
David Butler replied to Jan Green's discussion Mini split installation location
"Really hard to advise without knowing the layout. But you're asking good questions. Any chance…"
Monday
Jan Green posted a discussion

Mini split installation location

Reaching out to the experts today to ask about location of installation of a mini split.  I'm a…See More
Monday
David Butler replied to Beverly Lerch's discussion Mini split air conditioners and ceiling fans
"Among the various opinions expressed here, I offer a few 'truths'... Ceiling fans are…"
Monday
Walter Ahlgrim replied to Beverly Lerch's discussion Mini split air conditioners and ceiling fans
"This is one of thouse topic where you ask 10 people and get 12 different opinions. I will give you…"
Monday
Brett Little's event was featured
Thumbnail

Full Circle Urban Forestry: Introducing Urban Wood Opportunities - Free CE Webinar at Webinar Online

October 17, 2018 from 12pm to 1:15pm
Many common urban tree removal practices in the United States view felled urban trees as costly…See More
Monday

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2018   Created by Home Performance Coalition (HPC)   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service