Does anyone have any information about the SCORE program?  It was scheduled to start in summer 2011.  Part of V.P. Biden's "Recovery through Retrofit" program.  This was supposed to be one of the BIG achievements.  Ring any bells?

Views: 3213

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Evan, I 100% agree with you.  In order for the HEScore to launch successfully, the tests and technical data must be flawless.

Congrats for the excellent work at LBNL !

The wait for everything rolling out successfully will be well worth it!

I went to the website. It was wildly inaccurate on heating costs even before I air sealed and insulated (did not use blower door, IR camera or comp-u-tater). The only gizmo I used was the brain of an old school Carpenter updated with new found information and 30 years of building experience. If you know how they are built you know where the problems are. Any 6 day wonders out there that can diagnose a house without gizmos?

Phil,

I went to the link also and was quit surprised by the results. I'm living in an Energy Star house that I built and the results are quit surprising without knowing what equipment, windows and insulation I have in the house. I could see this as a valuable tool though. My next question is, by clicking on the link to have an energy audit performed, who's going to show up at my door? What kind of qualifications will that person have? How does an independant auditor get on that list?

I sent you my email address in a message here. I'm not thrilled with the SCORE tool and the way the DOE is approaching it...it definately cuts the independant auditor out of the picture.

Very interested to find out more about this lead-generation software.  Especially in other countries.  Here's my contact info:  tom@energy-general.com.  I am a select, high-end, highly-educated, highly-trained, fully certified energy auditor and one of the designers of the first energy audit - and I don't know what you are referring to in these comments.  I look forward to learning about the world wide licenses and instant access to the database.  Thanks!

While we are getting updates, has anything changed that will allow independent energy auditors to utilize SCORE.  As last I determined, I would NOT have access to this tool, yet some large competitor might, making it a tool I would rather not see put into play.  I would love it if I could EASILY sign up and take a simple test and level the playing field.  But I haven't heard that.

Is this tool still going to be used against the independents or are we going to be able to join in the process.  Note: I don't consider having to work underneath some large controlling organization as being independent.

Bud

I don't believe there are currently any for-profit partners utilizing the tool, of any size.  My clients respond well when I tell them I have applied a rating "similar to the one being developed by DOE."  I tell them I like what I see at LBL and keep in touch with Joan Glickman to monitor progress, and think we are on the right path.  Then take a look at their total usage in millions of Btus and see where they stand relative to what EIA says for your region.  There's no modeling involved but as long as you are consistent, it's a good relative analysis. And it'll be a pretty smooth transition to the HEScore when it becomes generally available.

Tom, one of my points from the question above is, will it become available to all.  The term generally has so far been used to imply all, but the fine print, so to speak, say not.  As for making it available to the non-profits, my biggest competitor is my state, ie a non-profit, so I'm hoping they do not sign up.

I appreciate LBL and I appreciate DOE, but I disagree with their direction.  And I'm sure they would disagree with mine.  The only salvation is that we both have the same end goal, except I'm not into making things more difficult just to create jobs.

Bud

No.  It will not be available to all.  You will have to be associated with one of the partners.  You will also have to be BPI or RESNET accredited.  I suggested they allow ICC certified professionals, state licensed home inspectors, AEE certified professionals or licensed engineers.  No to all.  If you would like to offer helpful suggestions you can contact them at homeenergyscore@ee.doe.gov   Sometimes they reply.  Usually not.

This was sent to me when I asked to become certified.

Hello, Thank you for your interest in the U.S. Department of Energy's (DOE) Home Energy Score.
DOE is working to recruit existing residential energy efficiency programs, state and local energy
offices, and utilities as partners.Contractors must participate under these partner programs to be
eligible for qualified assessor training. We have added you to the Home Energy Score interested
assessors distribution list to keep you informed as the partnerships develop.
In the interim, you can inquire with your local utility, energy office, or other programs about the
Home Energy Score availability near you. If they are interested, please ask them to email
homeenergyscore@sra.com with Partner Interest in the Subject. Thanks again for your interest.
Cortney Krauss The Home Energy Score Team

RSS

Latest Activity

Profile IconLauren Asplen and Danny Gough joined Bob Krell's group
Thumbnail

Healthy Indoors (IAQ)

The Healthy Indoors group is focused on indoor air quality (IAQ), mold, moisture control, radon,…See More
6 hours ago
Franco Oyuela commented on John White's blog post What to Expect from a New HVAC Unit Installation Cost
"Is strongly advise against attempting to install any complex home comfort equipment on your own.…"
7 hours ago
CEE posted a blog post
7 hours ago
Lindsay Bachman liked David Keefe's video
8 hours ago
Julie Saporito's blog post was featured
9 hours ago
John C. Semmelhack liked Diane Chojnowski's discussion Everything you need to know about California's new solar roof mandate
9 hours ago
Profile IconJohn Walter and Eric Rabesa joined Home Energy Pros Forum
23 hours ago
William Collins posted a video

The Foam Sealants Kit " Bead or Spray"

Now you can apply foam sealant as a " bead " or a " spray " with the Foam Sealants Kit. When using a 16lb Canister of Black Sealant you can easily go from us...
yesterday
Profile IconSean Wiens and Armando Cobo joined Don Fugler's group
Thumbnail

Kitchen Ventilation

In many homes, cooking is the largest indoor source of air pollutants. Exposures can be higher in…See More
yesterday
Julie Saporito posted a blog post
yesterday
Brennan Less replied to Linda Wigington's discussion Good Eating with Reduced Cooking Emissions in the group Kitchen Ventilation
"Cook outside, as much as you can, and close your doors/windows while you do it ;) "
yesterday
Ethan Foley joined Bob Krell's group
Thumbnail

Healthy Indoors (IAQ)

The Healthy Indoors group is focused on indoor air quality (IAQ), mold, moisture control, radon,…See More
yesterday
Shane S posted a photo
yesterday
Al Tibbs posted photos
Wednesday
Al Tibbs commented on Eric Aune's photo
Thumbnail

IMG00173-20100805-1030

"Always remind customer to make sure to mark out location of piping before covering!! The infrared…"
Wednesday
Al Tibbs commented on Eric Aune's photo
Wednesday
Joe is now a member of Home Energy Pros Forum
Wednesday
Liam Smith replied to Silas Inman's discussion Best Energy Myths
"Yes incandescent bulb are very heat productive. Instead of that use LED bulb which are energy…"
Wednesday
Kelly Vaughn's blog post was featured

How Cities Can Ensure Better Rentals for Everyone

By Alisa PetersenWhile much of RMI’s research and analysis on home energy performance has focused…See More
Wednesday
Brett Little's event was featured

Resilient Design in an Age of Climate Change - Free CE Webinar at Webinar Online

May 30, 2018 from 12pm to 1:15pm
A changing climate, sea level rise, drought, and a wide range of stresses in the world are…See More
Wednesday

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2018   Created by Home Performance Coalition (HPC)   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service