Posted on wrong thing first time.  Have cust who claims to have condensation on ceiling in summer time.  has 2 ac... has approx 3,000 sf two story built 1978 mst br is only room with cathedral ceiling.  said the condensation started after they installed ridge vent.  says ceilings are 2 by 6.  i am thinking of removing the dry wall and spray foaming the ceiling and replacing the drywall causing an unvented ceiling.

any thoughts.

Jerry Needham

Views: 382

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is it the cathedral ceiling that's sweating? Is the condensation on or adjacent to supply vents?

David

Not sure if there are any supply vents in the ceiling.  I am scheduled for an energy audit on June 18th and will know a lot more about the house at that point.  Just trying to get ahead of the curve prior to getting to the house.

Spray closed cell foam and get rid of soffit venting.

Problem fixed! Adding soffit vents just allowed hot moist air to hit, I assume, an underinsulated and non air sealed space. Doubt they actually vented the space with baffels all the way up the cavity to a vented ridge cap. Is there a vented ridge cap?  As the cool air got passed the drywall it just condensed on the nearest surface.

Bet there is a tone of mold on the back side of that drywall. Proceed with caution. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply Daniel.  I have worked with several jobs where we did as you suggest and all seem to be good.  I like the concept of the un-vented foam filled cathedral ceiling.  Cust says no issues with the condensation prior to adding the ridge vent. I know that the moisture hitting the warm ceiling in the summer goes against my training.  I am still going to look at the possibility of too much AC capacity with 2 AC in a 2,600 sf house.  One on first floor and one on second floor.  Lots of un-answered questions at this time.

The problem was probably there before, it just wasn't as apparent - sure rain isn't getting in through said ridge also? Love hot roof systems especially when you have so little room for traditional means - just make sure it is closed cell & I would also test out with a blower door to make sure they got it sealed / installed properly

Sounds like u opened the hornets nest! I would say a 2600 sq ft home shouldn't need more than 2tons a/c depending where u are at. More tonnage can cause issues. Especially makes it difficult for the system to pull moisture out of the air of it is short cycling. I would suggest a duct test to see how leaky the system is. Highly recommend if any ducts are in unconditioned space. Areoseal might be a good option if the leakage is high. I don't really like the stuff but it is a great option

Looks like a leaking ridge vent

Condensation on ceiling occurs when the attic space above is poorly ventilated or insulated. The traps heat in the attic, which then warns the ceiling. When the cool air from your living space rises due to humidity in your home then it comes in contact to the warm surface of the ceiling and condensation forms. To fix this condensation issue in ceiling by following these of the three below mentioned tips

• First, you have to do attic ventilation

• Then after you should do attic insulation

• And last you should fix or try to reduce humidity in living spaces.

If you are looking for the professional Heating, Ventilation & Cooling (HVAC) experts then you could contact us at White Mechanical, Inc.

Jerry,

;Have you opened the cathedral ceiling?  

Try using ceiling fan to move / mix air temps / gradients

RSS

Latest Activity

Brett Little posted an event
Thumbnail

Duct Optimization and Performance - Free CE Webinar at Webinar Online

October 31, 2018 from 12pm to 1:15pm
Good indoor air starts with proper duct design and installation. In residential ventilation…See More
14 hours ago
Nancy Hawkins is now a member of Home Energy Pros Forum
17 hours ago
John Nicholas replied to Jerry Needham's discussion Blower door test for small apartment building
"Thank You, Colin!  Those are very good points and processes to do some Zone Pressure…"
21 hours ago
Colin Genge replied to Jerry Needham's discussion Blower door test for small apartment building
"The way we'd normally do this is to mount one blower door in the hallway, then a duct tester…"
yesterday
Scott Katznelson replied to Jerry Needham's discussion Blower door test for small apartment building
"Most of the work I do is retrofit of older buildings. Marriage wall leakage is often significant,…"
yesterday
John Nicholas replied to Jerry Needham's discussion Blower door test for small apartment building
"Scott Katznelson   In 2013,  I had my HERS Field Review completed on a multi-family…"
yesterday
Sean Lintow Sr replied to Jerry Needham's discussion Blower door test for small apartment building
"Sorry but LMAO - one blower door for that small of a space gives you an accurate number for the…"
yesterday
Chris Davis posted a blog post
yesterday
Scott Katznelson replied to Jerry Needham's discussion Blower door test for small apartment building
"The most accurate way to accomplish this is to have 4 blower doors running at the same time, one…"
yesterday
Brett Little posted a discussion

Tour 2 IL New Built Homes - 1 LEED Silver - 1 Zero Energy Ready

During the IL Green Built Home Tour, we looked at 2 homes right down the road from each other to…See More
yesterday
Jan Green commented on Pearl Certification's blog post Two National Brands Join Forces Demonstrating Unity in Home Energy-Efficiency Rating Systems
"Congratulations to Pearl for innovative thinking and finding the right path to ensure these homes…"
yesterday

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2018   Created by Home Performance Coalition (HPC)   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service