I am working with an insulation company who has already applied 2" of closed cell foam over the deck of a roof deck that has been remediated for mold twice. It was thought by spraying the foam, there would be no chance of the mold coming back.  This is a million dollar home in the Chicagoland area and homeowner is trying to sell the home but a private home inspector says the foam will shorten the life of the roof and he has scared off perspective buyers with his talk.  I have told the insulator, that I am not going to say anything that I am not sure of or have some documentation.  

I agree the home owner should have solved the source of the mold before doing anything to the home first.  Unfortunately, we are beyond that point.  I am told that the ventilation has now been taken care of and I plan to check the ventilation out this coming week. If anyone has anything to add to the conversation or thoughts to help the homeowner sell his home and have the buyer feel comfortable with the purchase, please let me know.  I have been doing this for 9 years and never had a case like this and want to make sure not to say anything that will get my tail in the ringer.

Thanks

Jerry Needham

Views: 136

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Way to much information is missing to even say something definitive but I can say that yes it can shorten the life of the roof... by about two weeks (shingles) http://thehtrc.com/2011/what-is-a-hot-roof 

As for mold, the iso or is it exothermic reaction should have killed the mold on the sheathing while covering it completely should be enough to encapsulate it - was this done under the roof sheathing or over it

For the roof shingle issue that is an unfortunate issue with many home inspectors that have been given improper information. Shingle color actually has a greater effect than non-ventilation. There will be some shingle degradation but it will be very minimal.

Here is a great article on non-vented roofs.

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/building-science/ins...

Here is the link to the study referenced in the article-
http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/publications/pdf/FSEC-CR-1496-05.pdf

As you probably know mold will grow if conditions are right, it just requires organic matter for food, moisture, warmth, and oxygen. So if those conditions are corrected you should be okay.

You say that 2" of closed cell foam is applied OVER the roof deck.  Where exactly was the foam applied? Is this a flat/low slope roof?  If its to the underside of the roof deck?  You mention ventilation.  How about the ceiling plain...was that air sealed?  2" of closed cell foam is about an R13 depending of which brand of foam was used.  R13 alone applied to a roof deck is not enough to stop condensation. 

RSS

Forum Discussions

VERY TIGHT HOME WITH OVER SIZED AC

Started by Jerry Needham in BPI. Last reply by Dave Taylor on Thursday. 6 Replies

Mini split air conditioners and ceiling fans

Started by Beverly Lerch in General Forum. Last reply by Daniel Baur-McGuire Aug 13. 4 Replies

DIY Filter Solution for an Evaporative Cooler, anyone?

Started by Leslie Jackson in HVAC. Last reply by Daniel Baur-McGuire Aug 13. 6 Replies

Apply now for the Jon Siemen Memorial Scholarship!

Started by Diane Chojnowski in General Forum. Last reply by Quinn Korzeniecki Aug 9. 1 Reply

Latest Activity

Brett Little posted an event
Thumbnail

Green Rater LEED Credential Online Training at Online

September 5, 2018 at 12pm to September 6, 2018 at 5pm
With over 450,000 LEED® for Homes™ spaces worldwide, LEED is the international rating system to…See More
yesterday
Michael Schettine commented on Michael Schettine's video
Thumbnail

AccuFrame Water Test

"The Like button doesn't work on this site..."
Saturday
Franco Oyuela commented on Mike Muras's blog post "Practical Standards to Measure HVAC System Performance" Rob "Doc" Falke 04/17/2006
"It's important to evaluate and inspect a system regularly to make sure it's at optimal…"
Friday
Seventhwave posted an event

HVAC technology enhancements for energy conservation at The Marq

October 4, 2018 from 8:30am to 4pm
Join us to learn how to get the largest energy savings in your commercial buildings. HVAC as a…See More
Friday
Peter Krych replied to Dav Camras's discussion Adding blown insulation to poorly installed batts?
"I agree, it is wasteful to remove and dump old insulation. I still does its job. Air sealing is…"
Friday
Michael Schettine commented on Michael Schettine's video
Thumbnail

AccuFrame Water Test

"With the conversion rate that- air is 800 time LESS dense than water at sea-level…"
Friday
Michael Schettine posted a video

AccuFrame Water Test

In this short video, water is used to visualize air leakage sites that are present in the majority of framed walls in the US. New regulations require better ...
Friday
Sam Feder liked Dav Camras's discussion Adding blown insulation to poorly installed batts?
Thursday
Chris Stratton liked Don Fugler's discussion Choosing a range hood
Thursday
Dave Taylor replied to Jerry Needham's discussion VERY TIGHT HOME WITH OVER SIZED AC
"Jerry, you should look at Buildingscience.com" High Mass Walls" 105 paper for more…"
Thursday
Jill Lindman's 3 events were featured
Thursday
Jill Lindman posted events
Thursday
Diane Chojnowski posted videos
Thursday
Don Fugler replied to Don Fugler's discussion Choosing a range hood in the group Kitchen Ventilation
"Has anyone installed a range hood in an older home with the ducting down to the basement and out…"
Thursday
Profile IconEileen Kraus-Dobratz, VENI MITTAL and Mark A McCrumb joined Home Energy Pros Forum
Thursday
Brian Robinson replied to Dav Camras's discussion Adding blown insulation to poorly installed batts?
"YES, YES, & YES!!! Bat droppings, mouse droppings, dead mice, nuts, seeds, acorns, lack of…"
Wednesday
Matt Peterson posted a blog post

The Importance of keeping Professionally Trained Gas Line Installation Technicians happy and loving their jobs!

Our company is very much a family to us, we strive to bring in and develop great people into great…See More
Wednesday
Profile Iconyanky fogel, Kathleen Krebs, Nicholas Rubenstein and 3 more joined Home Energy Pros Forum
Wednesday
yanky fogel liked Home Energy Magazine's video
Tuesday
Franco Oyuela commented on Shawn Weeks's blog post How Homeowners Can Keep Electricity Costs Down in Summer Months
"Cutting back on air conditioning is also good for the environment because it reduces carbon…"
Tuesday

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2018   Created by Home Performance Coalition (HPC)   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service