another house explodes, killing 2 in apparent natural gas accident

2 dead in house blast, no foul play suspected

Excerpts from the article:

"A house exploded in New Jersey early Saturday, killing a husband and wife and reducing the two-story home to piles of scattered rubble....

"The blast initially reported as a gas explosion shattered windows in nearby homes...

"Neighbors said the Paladinos had a new stove delivered on Friday, but it wasn't clear if officials believed the explosion was related to the appliance, The Philadelphia Inquirer reported."

Views: 129

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As a former HVAC contractor, the thought of a newly installed appliance killing people is nauseating. 

Prayers for their family. I sure hope it wasnt new appliance. If so, was the installer qualified to install?

I have seen dry clay soil let gas though 2-4 blocks away - when wet clay seals the pipe then water gets into gas line.   Water trapped gas line and new home owner was thinking gas line was valved off but NO - clay dried out then the basement filled full of nat gas.   I have seen the one inch pipe from meter into building rot from drafty rim condensation,  over sized boilers and lack of seal will over heat that 2" of wood and drip all winter and rot Sch 40 black pipe in 3 yrs.

RSS

Latest Activity

Jonathan Nadle commented on Jim Gunshinan's blog post Our First Year with Solar Panels, by Chris Stratton
"Hi Jim, Thanks for your well thought-out and written piece.  I agree with your comments on…"
8 hours ago
Leo Klisch commented on Jim Gunshinan's blog post Our First Year with Solar Panels, by Chris Stratton
"WOW! 913kwh/12= 76kwh/month. How is that possible? I live in central Minnesota and started with…"
8 hours ago
Leslie Jackson replied to Leslie Jackson's discussion DIY Filter Solution for an Evaporative Cooler, anyone?
"Thanks Rich, I hope they thought of that, but you are on to something. I think I learn more doing…"
11 hours ago
grey staples commented on Jim Gunshinan's blog post Our First Year with Solar Panels, by Chris Stratton
"Curious to know how the kWh production turned out relative to what the installer indicated you…"
12 hours ago
Brennan Less commented on Jim Gunshinan's blog post Our First Year with Solar Panels, by Chris Stratton
"Hey Chris, y'all are kicking butt!! I'm sure your new HVAC won't use any energy,…"
12 hours ago
Rich Manning replied to Leslie Jackson's discussion DIY Filter Solution for an Evaporative Cooler, anyone?
"Have them call a HVAC contractor and install a filter system"
12 hours ago
Rich Manning replied to Jerry Needham's discussion Condensation on ceiling and walls of master bedroom
"Looks like a leaking ridge vent"
12 hours ago
Jonathan Nadle liked Jim Gunshinan's blog post Our First Year with Solar Panels, by Chris Stratton
12 hours ago
Matt Peterson posted a blog post

Gas Line Installation In Portland OR Code Basics

When you're looking to undertake any kind of a remodel or repair in your home it's important to…See More
12 hours ago
Brennan Less liked Jim Gunshinan's blog post Our First Year with Solar Panels, by Chris Stratton
12 hours ago
Pearl Home Certification posted a blog post

Press Release: HomeSmart International Joins the Pearl Broker Advantage Program

Vienna, Virginia and Scottsdale, Arizona – July 19, 2018 – Pearl Certification and HomeSmart…See More
13 hours ago
Franco Oyuela commented on Allison A. Bailes III's blog post The Ductopus or the Centipede - Which HVAC Duct System Is Better?
"Many older homes were constructed without air ducts. Ductless systems can provide much needed air…"
13 hours ago
Franco Oyuela commented on Chris Laumer-Giddens's blog post The Ductless Mini-Split Heat Pump's Big Brother - CITY MULTI
"The compact design and long piping system gives homeowners free reign for designing a ductless…"
14 hours ago
Terry Hill's event was featured

Passive House Institute US 2018 Conference at Boston

September 19, 2018 at 6pm to September 23, 2018 at 7pm
Annual conferenceSee More
14 hours ago
Franco Oyuela commented on Allison A. Bailes III's blog post How the Heck Does a Heat Pump Get Heat from Cold?!
"Like conventional central heat pumps, ductless mini-split heat pumps manipulate refrigerant to move…"
14 hours ago
Leslie Jackson replied to Leslie Jackson's discussion DIY Filter Solution for an Evaporative Cooler, anyone?
"Thanks, Larry! You are probably not confused! Apply skin, not a Band-Aid ... or something like…"
14 hours ago
Larry Weingarten replied to Leslie Jackson's discussion DIY Filter Solution for an Evaporative Cooler, anyone?
"Hello,  I'm probably confused, but I'd want to know where the dust and dirt are…"
14 hours ago
Diane Chojnowski posted discussions
15 hours ago
Leslie Jackson posted a discussion

DIY Filter Solution for an Evaporative Cooler, anyone?

If your general "info@" e-mail inbox is like mine, it is 95% SPAM but once in a while, as long as…See More
yesterday
Franco Oyuela commented on Silvie Votrubova's blog post Duct Testing Accuracy
"The ducts that are part of central heating and cooling systems offer one of the best opportunities…"
yesterday

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2018   Created by Home Performance Coalition (HPC)   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service