General Forum (1,013)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Air sealing wood-burning fireplace from the crawlspace below

Hi, I'm looking for some advice on air sealing the around the mantle of a fireplace in the crawlspace. Should I just apply spray foam as ne…

Started by Blake Shurtz

1 Apr 17, 2014
Reply by David Baerg

Residential Green Valuation Tools

Residential Green Valuation Tools Appraisal Institute just announced its latest new book on valuing residential high performance properties…

Started by Sandra K. Adomatis, SRA

0 Apr 13, 2014

Insulation Blower Recommendations?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a residential insulation blower?  We currently use an InsulMaxx 5000, and we've been pretty happy,…

Started by Jim Conlon

0 Apr 10, 2014

'Shielding insulation'

Good morning all, We had a question come up on "shielding insulation." The description is as follows:  "The Universal Shielding Insulation…

Started by Rob Buchanan

3 Apr 9, 2014
Reply by Shawna Henderson

Where do you fall in the "staged" versus "gotta be all at once" discussion?

In several industry conversations over the past few months, there’s been debate about whether we should take a “staged” retrofit approach. …

Started by Mike Rogers

29 Apr 6, 2014
Reply by tedkidd

Whole house air leakage

I have reviewed, tested, studied, asked, and analyzed the many facets of whole house air leakage.  I am still somewhat unsure what constitu…

Started by Roy Sakamoto

14 Apr 1, 2014
Reply by Ed Minch

Open cell foam and cellulose... Can they work together?

Greetings everyone!    I have a client who would like to have two inches of open cell foam in the attic flat, and then 10 inches of cellul…

Started by Luis Hernandez

11 Mar 29, 2014
Reply by Richard Beyer

AI Res. Green and Energy Efficient Addendum

The Appraisal Institute made the AI Residential Green and Energy Efficient Addendum fillable.  Check out the new version that makes it easy…

Started by Sandra K. Adomatis, SRA

0 Mar 29, 2014

Best Insulation For Older Building With Potential Moisture

I have an older redwood sided home that has the siding nailed directly onto the framing. There's a layer of felt paper over the framing, bu…

Started by Dan Antonioli

8 Mar 27, 2014
Reply by Roy L. Miller

Basement Renovation - Concerns & Ideas

Good morning pros! I am bidding on a basement renovation of a two story brick home in Arlington, VA. The first story is partially below gr…

Started by Patrick Michaelyan

1 Mar 26, 2014
Reply by Richard Beyer

RSS

Forum Discussions

Home Energy Pros and #MeToo

Started by Mike Rogers in General Forum 1 hour ago. 0 Replies

How would you insulate this roof?

Started by David Butler in General Forum. Last reply by David Butler 16 hours ago. 34 Replies

Psychrometric Chart Training

Started by John Krochmalny in Training. Last reply by Mahendra Shah on Friday. 1 Reply

Latest Activity

Mike Rogers posted a discussion

Home Energy Pros and #MeToo

If it doesn't seem obvious why a discussion of …See More
1 hour ago
Profile IconCharles Buell, Robert Cowell, Alice Quinn and 1 more joined Home Energy Pros Forum
7 hours ago
David Butler replied to David Butler's discussion How would you insulate this roof?
"Sean Lintow proposed rails and clips (re: first comment in this discussion), but in the context of…"
16 hours ago
Brad Cook replied to David Butler's discussion How would you insulate this roof?
"I missed where the suggestion for rails came in. The plywood would not need any rails. 4+ inches is…"
20 hours ago
David Butler replied to David Butler's discussion How would you insulate this roof?
"I'm a little confused about the necessity and purpose of using support rails if working on…"
20 hours ago
"If you insulate master bedroom and family room from below, you definitely need more R-value than…"
20 hours ago
"Brad, I was only talking about using EPS between the ridges, if necessary, to conform to bolts.…"
20 hours ago
Brad Cook replied to David Butler's discussion How would you insulate this roof?
"It kind of depends on the PIC. Not all insulation is made the same. Here in VT (and all of New…"
21 hours ago

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2017   Created by Home Performance Coalition (HPC)   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service